Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need input on my NV4500 swap!!
Please excuse my ignorance in advance, the light digging I did didn't come up with any information in regards to an actual swap conversation. Sorry again to be the new guy asking about threads that probably already exist.

Currently purchasing the following:
1) JBG NV4500 Complete swap kit
2) Extra Capacity main tank (non EFI) with filler hose

So I've literally just clicked the go button on JBG for the complete NV4500 swap kit. I can't help but believe that the kit will lack small, yet necessary items, regardless of the "everything you need" stamp of approval. I know I'll have to order a drive shaft once its in and I can get a measurement, I don't want to buy one while the trannys still in the mail. Chuck, not sure if you remember or not, but I gave you a call earlier in the week in regard to this matter, still gotta wait and see about the flywheel but the folks at WH and JBG told me I should be fine with the one thats in it; won't know till its tore down. I want to order the replacement tunnel cover for the NV4500 from WH but am skeptical how it actually mates up on my truck once the tranny's in, as opposed to cutting up some metal and welding it myself once its in. As for the tank, not sure if I have any doubts or not, but I have a 10 gal fuel cell bed-mounted and this bad girl takes octane so I need more capacity. Basically gentlemen, all I'm asking is if you've dealt with the installation process of either of these, and any hiccups you may have had or things you wish you had bought or known prior to. Thanks so much in advance gentlemen, any input is gold. And if you haven't done so today, thank God you're an American.
Welcome!

Snipes243 has a 4500 in his truck, but it is mated to an atlas. Maybe he will chime in. Your current driveshafts can be lengthened or shortened if you have a good shop in your area. If going new, I recommend Dave at Oliver's in Winston-Salem.
I'm basically using the Advanced adaptors kit that everyone sells. But I peiced mine together since I bought the tranny used. Im using a factory fly wheel and clutch pressure plate, but I did have to get the centerforce clutch(its basically a chevy clutch the splines are different. The actual mount is actually pretty nice it doesn't hang low and bolts into the factory mounting holes. What size body lift do you have? I have a 2" and it just barely sits above the tunnel. But you will love the trans I run 75 mph (GPS confirmed) down the highway at around 2700 rpm.
68 Half cab
It doesn't have a body lift, so I still don't know how its going to sit. I had looked at the 2" but im not sure about it. I also failed to mention the truck has a 351 with edlebrock top end kit (2090 kit) its a high compression motor, so not real sure how it will act once its hooked up to the 4500, but I can't imagine it'll be any worse than the 3 speed, which 1st is a crawling gear, so I start in 2nd, which gets to about 10 mph, then third goes to about 35 and it just screams then.
"
And Bart, are you around Winston? I'm real familiar with the area, but not with Oliver's
I'm not. I'm in Charlotte and have them shipped. Here is their website:

http://www.oliversdriveshaft.com

I put a 4500 behind my 4BT but it was all using Dodge stuff from a 2500 truck. I used a body lift and dropped the trans down a bit and didn't cut the trans tunnel area. Pretty sure Clay cut his up some.
knoxville714 Wrote:It doesn't have a body lift, so I still don't know how its going to sit. I had looked at the 2" but im not sure about it. I also failed to mention the truck has a 351 with edlebrock top end kit (2090 kit) its a high compression motor, so not real sure how it will act once its hooked up to the 4500, but I can't imagine it'll be any worse than the 3 speed, which 1st is a crawling gear, so I start in 2nd, which gets to about 10 mph, then third goes to about 35 and it just screams then.
"

With no body lift you will defiantly have to cut some of the tunnel to get it in there. I have a 2" and I take the shift column off to get in in there. It you look through my build thread on here. There is a ton of pictures of space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68 Half cab
Woah, thanks for the build thread Snipes, and I'll give the guys at Oliver a call once its in. I appreciate the help guys, I'll try and figure out how to get pictures on here so you can see what I'm working on. Thanks again fellas
knoxville714 Wrote:Woah, thanks for the build thread Snipes, and I'll give the guys at Oliver a call once its in. I appreciate the help guys, I'll try and figure out how to get pictures on here so you can see what I'm working on. Thanks again fellas

Let me know if you have any questions or if you need a picture of something.
68 Half cab
Here are some pictures     [Image: 9cb1b929b0b43836d82efe630909fa4f.jpg][Image: c4de1b3c472ec2419e07f0e77b7a83f6.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68 Half cab

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manual to Auto swap and Auto to manual swap wepuckett 1 1,536 07-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Last Post: wepuckett
  Brake problems after the 5.0 swap. BucknEB 10 2,251 10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Last Post: BucknEB
  AOD SWAP TO A C6 markharrell 3 1,569 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Last Post: jollygrngiant
  saginaw swap chulo2004 6 4,848 02-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Last Post: DeTowman
  BII 302 Swap BroncJr 27 11,184 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Mtrhd0024
  Question on 87' Tailgate swap. cavscout 1 2,421 04-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Last Post: sparkchaser
  Motor Swap Question?? BigBird13 5 1,425 10-16-2008, 07:36 PM