The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Talk (https://cb4x4.com/forum-39.html)
+--- Thread: what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? (/thread-2701.html)

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Broncitis - 04-18-2015

I am considering a rd trip out there in the Z. Hate to miss all the fun. I could hang out at the campground and relax. Also have a Aunt who lives near Murphy who would Love a visit. Reckon anyone might have a open passenger seat? If Rusty is runnin by then I might even slow cruise it out there. Just hate to get my hopes up to much. Maybe I can talk the wife into buying me a new radiator for my birthday.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - chuzie - 04-18-2015

What radiator do u need? I have one sitting in the shed that could use a new home.

I have a seat and you are welcome to it, but ask anyone and they would agree, riding with me is gambling with your life.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - snipes243 - 04-18-2015

chuzie Wrote:What radiator do u need? I have one sitting in the shed that could use a new home.

I have a seat and you are welcome to it, but ask anyone and they would agree, riding with me is gambling with your life.

big gamble

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - broncosbybart - 04-18-2015

I would ride with him but I don't enjoy running out of gas

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - jdowns67 - 04-18-2015

chuzie Wrote:Wow! I sure hope that idiot is gonna get an ear full from you.

The fact it lasted this long is a testament to the quality of some of these parts. What's the rebuild gonna cost?

Rebuild was $130. Kindy pricey but they replaced everyting. Said it was FRIED! Looks real purdy now too!

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Broncitis - 04-18-2015

chuzie Wrote:What radiator do u need? I have one sitting in the shed that could use a new home.

I am thinking the radiator I have is a stock style 4 core. It does not leak at present but shows signs of a leak in the past as it has somegreen oxidation at the bottom left corner. Thinking it is weak there and will likely fail at the worst time. I have had a great life so I have no fear well not a lot of fear anyway. But dang riding with yyour life in the hands of a wild man is pure terrifying. Having a passenger is kinda like driving the ski boat pulling tubes, it brings out the worst in a man. LOL

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - chuzie - 04-18-2015

Made the mistake, again, of running my trans through the radiator after the aux cooler. I wasn't pleased with 200-210 degree trans temps today. Swapped the circuit to run from radiator then to aux cooler. If I don't see more improvement, I am ordering a Tru-Cool! Enough is enough already.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - broncomatt - 04-19-2015

Glued on fender flares, smoothed out the hood for a new scoop. Getting it ready for primer and paint.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Broncitis - 04-19-2015

Better cool that auto down Chuzie. Heat'll kill a auto quick. While on the subject what do you think the optimal temp is for a auto. My Z runs around 165-170 most of the time. Maybe 180- 185 when towing.

Glueing flares Matt? What do you use for that and is it in lieu of rivets or along with rivets. Enquiring minds want to know.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - chuzie - 04-19-2015

I am pretty conscious about watching my trans and engine temps. My personal MAXIMUM limitation for the trans is 230*. This is the temp at which I will shut down, no matter what, if I cannot control the temp. Now this is based off a reading at the output from the converter and is the hottest fluid in the system, so it does not necessarily mean my trans is operating at that temp beyond the converter, but it is more conservative. Usually my internal trans temps is 10-15* below the converter. I am more concerned with the maximum temp the fluid reaches rather than the transmission since certain temps will physically change the properties of the fluid. If I ever reach 230*, you can bet I will be spending $100 to change the fluid at my earliest opportunity.

Normal operating range for the 4R70W is 150-200* with 170* as a typical average. I have been on the upper end of that range hanging out at 200-210* and have come to the conclusion a Tru-Cool Max 4739 (40,000GVW) is going to be the ticket. It may be overkill, but I am tired of iteration after iteration resulting in mediocre results or failure.
Sure this trans cooler costs $162 on Amazon, but it has a cold weather bypass and will easily be worth it if I never have to change expensive transmission fluid again due to heat.

My max engine temp is 230* as well with the boiling point of my system at 250* on a 13lb radiator cap.

Here is a chart I like to help me keeps things honest.

[Image: trans_life_expectancy.jpg]