The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Talk (https://cb4x4.com/forum-39.html)
+--- Thread: what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? (/thread-2701.html)

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - broncomatt - 04-19-2015

I prefer to keep my trans coolers separate from the radiator. The engine coolant will make the trans fluid hotter than it should. My coolers also all have there own fans, that's 2 trans cooler with one fan, one ps and one oil cooler with there own fan. Plus the lowest thermostat (170-180a).

The flares were glued on with panel adhesive by 3M. Its a two part epoxie, fairly expensive for a small tube. It was just enough to glue both flares on, used all it came with. I did get the gun with the kit so for $140 its worth the investment. The glue is to eliminate the need for rivets or screws. On the first body I built for this truck I riveted and then smoothed it out with marglass. The rivets rusted and the paint and bondo cracked. So I didn't want that to happen again. I will smooth out the dimples that come on the flares to recess the rivets and the holes I drilled for the screws to hold it on. I could smooth out the flare all together but I don't want to use that kind of bondo. If I ever damaged a flare I can grind it off and paint a new one before gluing it on.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Broncitis - 04-19-2015

Thanks for the education Chuzie and Matt. My first Bronco back in 84 turned me against autos for a 4x4. I fried 2 C 4s in it and found a good 3 speed and was happy ever after or til I sold it to a cousin a couple of years later. I had heard of the adhesive but have never seen it used yet. Hopefully i will get the broken bolt out of my flywheel tomorrow and while I am at it get it surfaced as well. Bought a cheap 45$ harbor freight adjustable engine spreader bar today so even if the nephew is busy I will get it put back in the next day or 2. Sometime Solo will brong progress to a complete halt.Once I get it back in and started I'll look at the twin stick install. I think I will cut a access hole in the tunnel to ease install and weld a patch in it after.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - broncosbybart - 04-20-2015

My 2 cents. Save time and buy a new flywheel. They are pretty cheap. Around here it is hard to get them surfaced for a lot less.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - chuzie - 04-20-2015

Chuck and ryan recently went through a resurfacing disaster. Long story short, it was done wrong and ended up buying a new one anyway.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Broncitis - 04-20-2015

Guess I will see how this one turns out. Got the motor set in and ready to start hooking every thing up. Just taking a break and saw the reply. The engine shop who surfaced it is owned and run by a friend and he has always done great work for me. I have set 15 or more motors in cars and trucks but this is the first I did solo and it slid in amazingly easy. The rest should go purty good also as I have it all cleaned and ready to go back. Maybe tomorrow unless I decide to pull a late night out there.

In light of the vehicles burning up at URE recently, I went ahead and ordered two new 5 lb extinguishers for the rig. The old 2.5 lb extinguishers were who knows how old and probably don't even work....

Hope to not need them, hence the reason for buying them. Please be safe, buckle up (saw another thread of someone getting killed in a roll over), and have a good time!

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new steel lined plastic bladder fuel cell as well and get rid of the alum one. No wrenching though.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - chuzie - 04-20-2015

Don't worry. I carry 3 extinguishers. One for you, one for clay and one for chuck. ;-)

What are the details with fires and roll overs?

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Broncitis - 04-20-2015

I do not even have a basic roll bar as of yet. I did buy some race quip 4 point latch and link belts off of the bay. Figured I'd want them when I do get a bar in it. May try and get a basic bar in it next week or get started fabbing one ths week. So much to do and oh well it'll get done someday. Also will try to pick up a couple of small extinquishers local. Have the fires you have read/heard about been started by ruptured fuel tanks of did they start as a electrical fire and spread. Will definitely try to keep my junk on the easier trails for the time being.

The Land Rover fire sounds like it was caused by ATF leaking initally. Not sure if the military hummer is known but it appears to have started in the cab (electrical) from the pics, based solely on my opinion.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/threads/military-training-gone-wrong-at-ure-hummer-on-fire.162256/

Attached is the other, a Land Rover on ****ey Bell

The roll over was a female rock bouncer at DTOR (Dirty Turtle Off Road Park). Sounds like she wasn't wearing any belts.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - chuzie - 04-21-2015

Broncitis, I recently removed my 4-point harnesses after reading why they were among the most unsafe variant available due to the increased probability of submarining. Since my seats have no provision for an anti-sub, I opted for 3-point instead.

If you plan to use your rig on the road, I urge you to look into the matter. Of course a dedicated trail rig is perfect for 4-points.
That concludes the public service announcement portion of this message. B-)

Bart,

I may act a fool on the trail, but fire safety is no joke. How the hell are there no extinguishers? Sad.

Is the female from the rollover okay?