The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Talk (https://cb4x4.com/forum-39.html)
+--- Thread: what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? (/thread-2701.html)

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - chuzie - 04-29-2015

This is a hammerlock link with a hook.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8706[/ATTACH]

It is used to connect the hook to a chain or rope. They come with a pin that is not designed to be easily and quickly removed thus rendering the link semi-permanent.

I want to replace the pin with this to make swapping the hook for a shackle much easier.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8705[/ATTACH]

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Broncitis - 04-29-2015

I have used these on farm implements but have never them them in grades. I figure all I have seen would be grade 5. Maybe check at a Tractor Ag dealer(John Deere/Kubota). Tractor Supply TSC sales them but not sure what the grade is.

Grade 8 exists but is not common. There is a 5,500lb difference in quadruple shear for gr5 vs gr8 in this application.

Checked TSC as well. Going to look up some dealers as you suggested.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - snipes243 - 04-29-2015

chuzie Wrote:This is a hammerlock link with a hook.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8706[/ATTACH]

It is used to connect the hook to a chain or rope. They come with a pin that is not designed to be easily and quickly removed thus rendering the link semi-permanent.

I want to replace the pin with this to make swapping the hook for a shackle much easier.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8705[/ATTACH]

Whats the sear strength of those's pins. I would be a little leary put a pin that is only retained by the little strap. What happens when your winch and that little strap comes undone? I use to run a set of the those pins on my door hinges and the little latches always kept popping off. If the pin fell out or back off during winching it might not be a fun experience. Have you thought of using a pin and a cotter key?

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - Broncitis - 04-29-2015

I repurposed a mirror which i took off of the V Rod when i put chrome ones on it. Bracket can be improved but I'll try it this way to see if I want to spend time on a different bracket.

http://www.cb4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8707&thumb=1&d=1430310928

5/16 gr5:
Single: 5,522
Double: 11,045
Quad: 22,088

gr8:
Single: 6,903
Double: 13,806
Quad: 27,612

Just saw the rest of your post. I have considered using a pin and cotter key. Problem is, if I drop the key, I am done. I like the round wire lock mainly because it is attached.
It is spring steel, so I can probably tweak it so it keeps more pressure on the pin to prevent inadvertently coming off as you described.

chuzie Wrote:5/16 gr5:
Single: 5,522
Double: 11,045
Quad: 22,088

gr8:
Single: 6,903
Double: 13,806
Quad: 27,612

I would be leary chuzie with the grade 8 you have 13,806lbs double shear which has a safety factor of 1.7 for 8000lbs winch. Now if you use a snatch block back to the vehicle you basically double your pull strength to 16000lbs which will have a safety factor of .86 so it will most likely break. FYI when I deal with stuff I like safety factors between 4 and 5.

what have you wrenched on your bronco(s) today? - broncosbybart - 04-29-2015

Chuzie- it's called a D ring. They make it easy to change stuff out with. Aside from wire, have never seen a 5/16 anything used for recovery gear.

chuzie Wrote:Just saw the rest of your post. I have considered using a pin and cotter key. Problem is, if I drop the key, I am done. I like the round wire lock mainly because it is attached.
It is spring steel, so I can probably tweak it so it keeps more pressure on the pin to prevent inadvertently coming off as you described.

Mine always broke where the red arrow is. Also in rigging equipment those would a big no no, since the pin is not mechanically held in place.