The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... (/thread-1802.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - 66stocker - 08-26-2009

It sounds like this all started when you did your tune up so perhaps it's not the carb.

Did you set your points by gap or do you have a dwell meter?
Are the plugs gapped correct?
have you tried pulling the plug caps off one at a time to see if you have a cylinder thats not firing?

Spend the $100 and put a pertronix and coil in it!

If you want you can drive it over to my house and we will put a meter on it and check everything out.

Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - berg bronco - 08-26-2009

66stocker Wrote:It sounds like this all started when you did your tune up so perhaps it's not the carb.

Did you set your points by gap or do you have a dwell meter?
Are the plugs gapped correct?
have you tried pulling the plug caps off one at a time to see if you have a cylinder thats not firing?

Spend the $100 and put a pertronix and coil in it!

If you want you can drive it over to my house and we will put a meter on it and check everything out.

hey goerge I have a pertronix sitting in my toolbox let me know if you want it.
you probably want to stay stock don't youConfusedcratchhe:

Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - Mill Knob - 08-26-2009

berg bronco Wrote:hey goerge I have a pertronix sitting in my toolbox let me know if you want it.
you probably want to stay stock don't youConfusedcratchhe:

So do you have the ignition or the coil?

broncomatt Wrote:Well since its only at mid range rpm's and the idle is ok its not going to be as easy to figure out. The first thing I would do is try riching the mixture (thats presuming you put them in all the way then backed them out 1 1/2turns to start) by 1/2 turn. I would also double check the float height. If its low it can fuel starve at mid to full throttle.
You can also try checking for vacume leaks with propane or carb clean.
Check all your vacume lines (the ones down to the tranny, plus evap lines), accelerator pump settings, and air cleaner.
I hope this helps some, its easyer to diagnose with the truck in front of me.
Broncomatt

Thanks Matt for the help. I will try the fuel mixture. I will see what happens..

Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - berg bronco - 08-26-2009

Mill Knob Wrote:So do you have the ignition or the coil?

Ignition

berg bronco Wrote:Ignition

I will Pm you..

Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - SC74 - 08-26-2009

FWIW I would stay away from Pertronix. I had that in Jessica's blue bronco before I upgraded to the DUI cap and it gave me nothing but trouble. I had the ignition and their "flame thrower" coil. I will admit that I upgraded to the DUI at the same time I installed a Centech harness so it may have been other electrical gremlins causing my issues, but they didn't come up with stock equipment. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Bill - check the gap in the points and plug gap. Are all of your wires nice and snug (good "click") on both ends? Did you use dielectric grease on your wires - I always do but too much isn't good.

Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - Mill Knob - 09-02-2009

Update, I drove the Bronco to work today and it seem to not want to run good in the cool air this morning. So I had the choke cable pull out half way again and it seem to run better. This afternoon on the way home I lifted up the rear top of the soft top since it was a cool and pretty afternoon and the fumes were coming in like crazy and the Bronco was not running good at all with the choke cable in and the fumes were strong. I pull the choke cable out half way and the fumes seem to not be as bad?Confusedcratchhe: So I am still woundering what is going on. Plus with the choke all the way in doing about 50mph down the road with my foot barely on the gas the Bronco seams to lug. When I mean lug it is jumping. Not bad jumping but the idle is kind of jumping? Still needing some help..:crying:

Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - 66stocker - 09-03-2009

Holy cow George.
Is your choke hooked up backwards somehow?:rubeyes:

That's just the opposite of what should happen. When you pull the choke out
it richens up the air/fuel mixture and your saying the fumes get less? Push
the choke in (lean) and the fumes get worse?

Perhaps your Bronco went through the galactic plane and now it's an opposite ocnorB.

I'll have to think about this one a little more ....

Carb Question.. Help a Brother out.... - bucketobolts - 09-03-2009

You can get fumes from an overly lean condition, NOX fumes. A lean condition could also cause the loss of power or lug. When the choke is closed raising vacuum through the venturi, more fuel is drawn.

You can let the engine idle with the choke off and take a folded towel and cover the top of the choke horn with the towel and your hand trying to shut off the air. If the engine raises RPM before shutting off, your mixture is lean. If it just sputters and shuts off, your mixture is rich.

Did you check the float level with the guage when you rebuilt it? It sounds like it may be too low.