The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Heim Steering - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Heim Steering (/thread-3839.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Heim Steering - chuzie - 08-27-2015

I think he just wants to find a way to use his new skills. Time probably isn't a factor if it's done at school. Heck, can you get the materials free too?

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!

Heim Steering - snipes243 - 08-27-2015

If you go Heims don't forget to get safety washers for them.

Heim Steering - broncomatt - 08-27-2015

With a safety item like that you don't want to make your own. There are several kits out there and its well worth the money.
And yes, safety washers are a must. I always carry spare Heims for each side.

Heim Steering - wepuckett - 08-27-2015

Trust me I get safety of it but we are learning to make things in tollerances of about the thickness of 1 to 3 hairs or in other terms 0.010 or sometimes 0.005, still evaluation as I havn't priced stock yet but have a pretty good idea of setups to cut everything. As for machines will be using CNC so probably the same type of machines all the vendors are using or hirring out to have them built in the first place. As for Safety if I decide to do this I think I have a couple instructors that can sign off without a problem one has a Masters in Engineering and the other has been a Machinist for 30 plus years. Trying to think of other projects I could do as well just havn't thought of them yet. I have thought about the extended Radius arms but don't know if I can do them completely on a machine without welding and just not proficient enough there welding.

Heim Steering - blazinchuck - 08-27-2015

ok so you got all this at your disposal...again...how much time are you or anyone else going to have to invest for one heim? even if he could(i doubt it) knock it out in a half hr...his time is worth 3x what a ready made heim cost? they make them in a batch of 1000pc or more

Heim Steering - blazinchuck - 08-27-2015

did i mention the metal...has to cost someone??

Heim Steering - Broncitis - 08-27-2015

William have you thought about making a improved twin stick shifter, even a Gear Jammer shifter. Something that is less likely to cost someone there life if it fails. I'd steer clear off critical parts such as steering and brake parts. How about bullet proof drive shafts. Anything that does not involve the loss of life or limb if it fails. Just My humble opinion.

Heim Steering - Timstrk - 08-27-2015

I've been running homemade steering components for years. .188 wall DOM tubing with 3/4 heims (L and R) for drag link and tie rod. Bent my own adjustable panhard bar, too. Friend runs the same setup on a 5000lb desert race car at 100mph plus throughout southern NV with no failures. Safe enough for me. Check the warranty on those and see if they don't say "Not suitable for highway use" somewhere in the fine print. Like bead lock wheels, etc. Just because you can buy it doesn't make it better.

Heim Steering - broncosbybart - 08-28-2015

Thought for sure you meant links initially. Heims are hardened and forged. Not machined pieces of mild steel. You can't make those. The only thing you'd be able to do would be the links.

Heim Steering - scbronco - 08-28-2015

a cool machining project to me would be making a spool (still needs to be heat-treated), or some accessory drive pulleys, maybe a more modernized version of the stock EB throttle linkage... all kinds of bits and peices you could do without going into the complexity of a heim. something like that really does run the full spectrum of production manufacturing. its machined, heat-treated, machined again, the fish-eye is inserted then the hoop is pressed and machined again, there is a teflon or silicon liner of some type between the two peices and then it all has to move bearing tight/smooth. id say a one-off hand-made peice is not only lofty, but like chuck said, not cost effective at all.

Much better training/practice projects that can still be installed and depended on long-term... how bout a D20 Transfer case adapter for the Mazda 5spd trans that ran on the 302/351 F150s? that would benefit me... lol