The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Bent Axles - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Bent Axles (/thread-3878.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bent Axles - blazinchuck - 11-18-2015

like i said, check with wild horses...they have the heavy duty bearings with the contained tapper bearings...meaning its not two pieces. no race to install on the axle tube. its all contained on the shaft. plus they were the only ones that would send them ready to install. chuzie got some from jbg and it was a pain to install them, the collars were too tight or something.

Bent Axles - chuzie - 11-20-2015

I checked and don't see those bearing Chuck.

Bent Axles - jdowns67 - 11-21-2015

Well against almost everyone's suggestions, I ended up going with the JBG shafts because being right around Christmas, I didn't want to spend more than I had to. They ended up being the Yukon axles made from 1541H. Bearing,retainer, and studs already installed. Axle seals and retainer plates included. Pretty damn good deal for $265.00. I'm sure they will last me a long time. Not like I hit the Rubicon every weekend.

https://www.yukongear.com/partslist.aspx?SearchMode=Search&SearchType=Part&SearchPhrase=21226

Bent Axles - Bronco Biff - 11-21-2015

I ran 28 spline with 33' forever in the '73. Never had an issue with the axles. Broke a few carriers until I switched to a 4 pinion Ford SVO traction lock and then never looked back.....until I got a good deal on a Detroit and 31 splines.

Chuck, if you were referring to the bearing retaining collar, did you heat it up first? I have put them in the oven and heated them up until the id was bigger than the axel and dropped them on. I have had to do tapered bearings the same was or use a torch. Good for removing them also.

Bent Axles - jdowns67 - 11-23-2015

Under the truck yesterday while installing the new axles and messing with the e-brake cables. Saw where a couple of my u-joint caps had spun on the cv joint at the transfer case. I have this grease gun extension thing that I use to try and grease the u-joints but it still sucks. Anybody have any tricks? I guess dropping the driveshaft is the best way.

Bent Axles - chuzie - 11-23-2015

How do you know they spun? Ade they marked or scratched?

You are better off removing the shaft. Using those stupid zerk fittings introduces contaminants to the bearings.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!

Bent Axles - broncosbybart - 11-23-2015

U-joint caps are a press fit. If they are loose enough to spin, it is time for a new drive shaft. I've never seen this happen at the CV end but that isn't to say that it's not possible. I remove the driveshafts to grease those, on a shaft that has them. When servicing a shaft I will use the non-greasable Spicer joints. They last a lot longer than a standard joint and are no maintenance.

Bent Axles - jdowns67 - 11-23-2015

Chuzie, You can see a shiny ring around the outside of the cap where the small retaining tab is rubbing. I'll take a picture. I'll probably take it out sometime this weekend.

Bent Axles - Bronco Biff - 11-23-2015

You're talking about the two caps that are in the yoke on the output of the transfer case, right?

Bent Axles - jdowns67 - 11-28-2015

Bronco Biff Wrote:You're talking about the two caps that are in the yoke on the output of the transfer case, right?

Yea, I'll take a picture. I might pull it today if I don't get into something else. Haven't even driven it since I put the new axles in.