The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
306 EFI build - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Talk (https://cb4x4.com/forum-39.html)
+--- Thread: 306 EFI build (/thread-3031.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

306 EFI build - blazinchuck - 12-29-2011

this stuff is all trick flow cam,heads,pistons, and is designed for EFI. it has the HO firing order. it should run fine...i might need more fuel on the top end, but thats not my main concern for now. im gonna build the mustang 5.0 for the 1/2 cab later.

went to LKQ for the explorer serp. buddy told me bout the 1/2 off sale coming sat/sun. so i removed everything except the timing cover and balancer. i stashed everything in the trunk of a car so i can come back sat to pay for it not sure what kind of puller i need to get the balancer off. any thoughts??

306 EFI build - broncosbybart - 12-29-2011

use a standard harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller. i am pretty sure that the bolts you need to pull the balancer off with are metric. i did manage to get 5/16 coarse thread bolts to work. they need to be really long- probably about 5" or so. i was fortunate on the engine that i robbed the parts off of. it still had the heads on it and i was able to shove a plug wire in the spark plug hole of one cylinder to keep the engine from turning while removing the 15/16" headed bolt that holds the balancer on. not sure if the engine you are robbing the parts off of is complete or not, but i was charged about 140 for the serpentine setup, minus alt. i could have bought the whole engine for $200. i would have done that if the intake was still there. it was already gone.

306 EFI build - blazinchuck - 12-29-2011

thats weird, i didnt even see bolt holes on there...must been the grime covering them up.

as for the motor price, ill have to ask. this one was complete and there was another one there too

306 EFI build - broncosbybart - 12-30-2011

Yep, there should be 3 holes in the balancer, just like any other. I've had 2 of these engines and they've both been the same like that. You will need to make a PS hose. Classic has a good write up on the conversion. Definitely go with the Lee's pwr steering pump fitting. I tried the Summit one and it is junk. I need to order another one of those fittings from Lee's. It is like $20 but what do you do?

306 EFI build - chuzie - 12-30-2011

Careful with the fitting or it will leak like crazy! Double check for correct flare type and the nylon washer. I had my line made a charleston rubber. Take the fitting in there when you go as well as your old line going to the box.

306 EFI build - SC74 - 12-30-2011

I took the explorer lines in and tried to get one made at the local hydraulic shop here and they couldn't do it. I had to order that fitting that bart mentioned. You could make a couple dollars if you pulled the second set and sell it on classic... just a thought if you have the time and patience. I wouldn't mind having the alt, fan, and crank pulley off of it to complete my set - but that would be to re-sell too.

306 EFI build - blazinchuck - 12-30-2011

well, got the motor clean and painted. been working on polishing the ford racing valve covers. also thought i would drop the gt40 intake on and snap a few pics for yall...but i hit a snag. the vent lines on the bottom of the upper are sitting on the valve cover on the dr side!

what are my options here?? get a 1" spacer between the upper/lower?? im trying to save some money here too. one of the fittings is threaded, so i can remove it and put a plug in...but the other looks pressed in.

as for the gt40. i need to get the bolts tomorrow...the guy i got it from didnt gimme the bolts for it. so ill have to snag some when i go get the accessory drives for the explorer front.

Bart, i appreciate your input, just looking to see if other had issues getting the balancer off, and what they used. i really didnt see holes in it, hope i just missed it.Confusedcratchhe:
can anyone confirm how to remove the balancer on the '97 explorer?just looking for a few other options. here are a couple pics

306 EFI build - broncomatt - 12-30-2011

I checked alldata (I couldent remember for sure) and its a 3 bolt puller, standered stuff.
I have had the upper pleanum hit on a few installs I have done (mostly due to raised valve covers for roller rockers). On one I cut it off and pluged it, but he had no need for it (like a vacume booster). If you know what else the lines need to go to then cut and plug it, bend it till it fits ect. The 2 long bolts are prone to braking if they have been over torqued, if possible I would get new ones. When I was at the ford dealer we stocked them.

all i really have for vacumm is the pw brakes...im sure i can get that from underneath the upper intake...and maybe lose the ones that are hitting

also, the motor i stripped the front off yesterday has the correct gt40 heads too...the ones with the 3 bars"lll" cast into them...gonna try to grab those tomorrow if they still there!!!