The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Need a little help - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Need a little help (/thread-207.html)

Pages: 1 2

Need a little help - The Bronski - 11-11-2007

Having a little issue getting my Bronco to start. It's an '88 auto with a 302. I was messing around back behind the walmart in James Island (Charleston) climbing some hills. As I attempted to climb a hill the truck would shut itself off, but I was always able to crank it right back over. Well I went for a bigger hill and it did the same thing, this time it would crank. So we towed it to the walmart to investigate.

We checked and it has spark and it has fuel, but still will not crank over. So we grabbed some brake cleaner to see if we could get it to crank over on that to prove that the fuel is not getting into the cylinder. It would almost crank over. So at this point I'm not really sure what else to look at. The fuel pump sounds like it's engaging.

Is anyone in the Charleston area off tomorrow that might be able to give me a hand before walmart decides to tow my truck away? I'll provide lunch, beer, gas money whatever. I just want to get this thing back home.

Thanks a bunch,
John

Need a little help - SC74 - 11-11-2007

You've got me stumped. If you know it is getting spark, you've eliminated the regulator, coil, and solenoid. If you know it's getting fuel and spark it should at least fire.

Starter maybe? What's it sound like when you try to turn it over?

If I were closer I'd try to help - Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Need a little help - 66bronco - 11-11-2007

is it turning over kind of sluggish? if it is getting gas and has spark the next thing i would check is the dist. to make sure it has not rotated around just enough to throw timing off.
bryan

Yeah thats whats stumping me as well. I just don't know enough about these motors but I know the basic.. fuel, spark, air should crank. We checked what I believe is the inertia relay to make sure it didn't go out. Not sure if that is even a factor.

There are two relays on the drivers side, I'm assuming one is the fuel pump relay? I didn't have anything to replace it with to check that. I just need to get it back to my place to look at it further.

Thanks for the reply

66bronco Wrote:is it turning over kind of sluggish? if it is getting gas and has spark the next thing i would check is the dist. to make sure it has not rotated around just enough to throw timing off.
bryan

no the turning is not sluggish at all, it sounds like it wants to crank. I believe it may be a fuel issue. I can hear the fuel pump buzz when I turn it on, I stuck something in the shrader valve to see if had pressure and it did. Maybe some sort of control module thats not relaying to the injectors....

Need a little help - DeTowman - 11-11-2007

The Bronski Wrote:
66bronco Wrote:is it turning over kind of sluggish? if it is getting gas and has spark the next thing i would check is the dist. to make sure it has not rotated around just enough to throw timing off.
bryan

no the turning is not sluggish at all, it sounds like it wants to crank. I believe it may be a fuel issue. I can hear the fuel pump buzz when I turn it on, I stuck something in the shrader valve to see if had pressure and it did. Maybe some sort of control module thats not relaying to the injectors....
Sounds like the fuel pump...you may have fuel at the shrader valve BUT is it enough pressure to open the injectors. you need to get a fuel pressure gage on the shrader to see how much pressure you have.....some where around 50 to 60 psi.....if u were closer I'd help.....

Need a little help - jollygrngiant - 11-11-2007

Bronski, I'm off tomorrow. How far away do you live from the Wal-mart? I'm not a wizz on motors, but I know enough. Don't know if I could be any help or not.
Brian

jollygrngiant Wrote:Bronski, I'm off tomorrow. How far away do you live from the Wal-mart? I'm not a wizz on motors, but I know enough. Don't know if I could be any help or not.
Brian

I have a car to drive so luckly I'm not stuck. I live in West Ashley, I could definitely use any help I can get. I was gonna plan on heading to the walmart sometime in the morning to see what I can do. My # is 843 318 1245 just give me a ring tomorrow if you have time. I really appreciate it.

-John

DeTowman Wrote:
The Bronski Wrote:
bryan

Sounds like the fuel pump...you may have fuel at the shrader valve BUT is it enough pressure to open the injectors. you need to get a fuel pressure gage on the shrader to see how much pressure you have.....some where around 50 to 60 psi.....if u were closer I'd help.....

I will definitly grab a fuel pressure gauge tomrrow and test that. I appreciate the info. I'll let you know the outcome.

Need a little help - 66bronco - 11-11-2007

not turning over sluggish like. so i would agree with fuel pressure. i like to check cheap things first.
bryan