The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! (/thread-2332.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - UTFLIWGYA - 08-31-2010

OK..so the EB did great at Uwharrie and got me there and back without a problem. I had it into a local shop before the run for a tune-up, carb check, replace the fuel pump and the WATER PUMP.

All was well....until this morning. I went to check out a local 83 Bronco for sale as my trail rig (I shouldn'tve taken the EB to check out the new Bronco). Before lunch I could smell the "sweet smell of coolant", but thought nothing of it and saw no leaks. When I drove to lunch I noticed a distinct smell of coolant and saw that my temp gauge had spiked into the unknown temperatures of Hades itself. The EB was parked and it proceeded to spew hot coolant everywhere...looked like it was coming from the bottom of the WATER PUMP and down the front of the engine. Now, i went back to the place that fixed it and they were closed....like forever. The place was for sale.

So, my question is, now that the EB is cool to the touch, I can see that there is about a gallon or less of coolant in the radiator. WHERE do I start" Hoses? Fill with water and watch for leaks? Tow it to a shop (I live in an apartment complex)? Suggestions please. Thanx

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - chuzie - 08-31-2010

Well....

Overheating sucks, especially for your engine.

First fill up the radiator with water as well as the reservoir. Don't waste your $$$ on coolant until the leak is fixed.

What ever happened with that heater hose you taped up at URE?

If it looks like coolant is coming from the bottom of the water pump I would venture to say either bad gasket or the weeper hole which indicated bad water pump.

After you replenish the water, take the truck around the block to heat it up and then park it and keep it running. Pop the hood and check for leaks. Also note the temp reading.

Determine if the upper radiator hose is hot and if it feels like water is flowing.

Frankly, it can be many items so we have to start here.

Do you have another vehicle in the meantime?

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - blazinchuck - 09-01-2010

also look at that short curved by pass hose...should be near the front upper left(near intake...looking at it from the front) could be leaking there and running down too. everything Mike said is perfect...follow those steps and let us know

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - UTFLIWGYA - 09-01-2010

@ Chuzie - Thanx. I will check with Water and see if it is the Gasket or Weeper Hole...I'm thinking it is the gasket cause it was a total failure all at once. The Duct Tape is holding like a champ, but I am probably going to replace those hoses now that I have the opportunity...and the Thermostat (down to a 160). I have my F-150 in the meantime.

@ Chuck - By pass hose....roger that!!

Thanx Guys

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - JayT - 09-01-2010

Good luck. Holler if you need any help, or just another pair of hands.

JayT

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - UTFLIWGYA - 09-02-2010

....One thing that I forgot to mention was that I noticed a squealing coming from under the hood prior to the leak.... I figured it was a belt loose. So I checked the belts but the squealing was still there. When I accelerated it sounded like it may have been coming from the water pump.

Will a water pump going out make a squealing sound, kind of like a loose belt would sound? Guess I might have to repalce the whole thing....

Thankx for any insight on this....gonna tinker with the EB during the long weekend.

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - blazinchuck - 09-02-2010

if that pump is leaking, or any hoses are leaking onto that belt or any pulley...then yes...it will cause that belt to slip and squeal...stay at it Brian...you'll get it

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - medwards01 - 09-02-2010

My moneys on it being a bad water pump....especially if you noticed it squealing before it started puking coolant!! Confusedcratchhe:

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - gumby93 - 09-02-2010

squealing from the water pump is something i have found out to be noticeably different from a belt squealing (that's why gumby didn't make the work day)

Spewing Green Stuff and Hot as BLAZES!! - firefighter2134 - 09-02-2010

but is gumby better now?