The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Horrifying sound coming from my Bronco!!! - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Horrifying sound coming from my Bronco!!! (/thread-2506.html)

Pages: 1 2

Horrifying sound coming from my Bronco!!! - chuzie - 12-19-2010

So yesterday I was driving the Bronco to Chuck's house to do some work with the tie-rod over installation. Coming to a turn, I hit the brakes and heard what sounded like a heavy piece of metal getting thrown around in a thick metal container. I investigated further and noticed it occurred with moderate application of the brakes and sounded like it was coming from the transmission or transfer case.

I immediately thought I had lost either a torque converter (TC) bolt or bellhousing bolt and the TC or flywheel was kicking the bolt around in the bellhousing. I removed the inspection cover and accounted for all TC bolts and felt the bottom of the bellhousing in search of debris only to find nothing. We moved on to the transfer case and could find nothing wrong with the joints or the housing/mounting bolts.

After we finished the tie-rod over (more to come on that in another post) I drove home stumped and determined to investigate further the next day praying that I was not going to have to rebuild the transfer case. I drained it and pulled the inspection cover and the gears were all intact and there was surprisingly little wear on the metals. That was great, but now where was that horrible sound coming from?

I reinstalled the inspection cover on the transfer case and decided I was going to remove the drive shafts and inspect the input/output bearings.

For whatever reason, I felt the urge to take one last look and the transmission. Additional exterior inspection of the bellhousing produced the culprit. There was a hole in my housing!!!

It measured about 1"x.5". The surface material of the hole was fresh and the concave structure indicated it was created from the inside out. The location of this hole was at the 4 o'clock position on the bellhousing (front looking aft) just in front of where a bellhousing to transmission (C4) mounting bolt resides.

I used my dremel to widen the hole so I could get a better look inside for damage and potential loose parts.

I found that the mounting bolt had come completely out of its hole and each time I hit the brakes the bolt slid forward and the little nubs on the outer diameter of the TC threw the bolt into the bellhousing wall. The clearance was so tight that it would not allow the bolt to just fall to the bottom of the bellhousing so this kept occurring.

The TC was a little dinged from the impact but i saw no serious damage and I was able to fish the bolt out as well. I had to make a stop drill in the bellhousing as there was a crack propogating from the damage site.

At this point I am on the fence as to how I will proceed. I know I need to remove the tranny so i can reinstall that mounting bolt, but crap, what a pain for one bolt. Maybe I will let it ride for a bit until I get some motivation. If I remove the tranny to replace the bolt I will likely replace the bellhousing too.

Just wanted to share.

Horrifying sound coming from my Bronco!!! - broncosbybart - 12-19-2010

What mounting bolt are you speaking of? It sounds like you are referring to one of the 6 flex plate to crankshaft bolts. If it is one of those, I would be worried about the others coming loose, as they might not be tight enough. I have never seen one come out on its own. Sucks about the bell housing. I threw one out about a year ago. They are kinda hard to find. Nothing a little JB weld and some duct tape can't fix, right???

It is a bolt that mounts the bellhousing to the transmission. I used a torque wrench on those suckers too. Oh well, stuff happens.

[Image: P1020690.jpg]

Horrifying sound coming from my Bronco!!! - blazinchuck - 12-19-2010

dayum, well atleast you found it. I dont know what to tell ya on the other three...sound like you did all four right, so leaving the other 3 may work or may not work. Id be less worried about the hole in the bell housing as opposed to not reinstalling the 4th both and checking the other 3..mild lock-tite??

I think the problem is my rig is just so bad-a that those old bolts just couldn't keep up!

Horrifying sound coming from my Bronco!!! - blazinchuck - 12-19-2010

who are you? is this JP? lol

eh, probably had to use a mild steel bolt because he couldn't afford a grade 8 bolt after paying for all that labor for the 4 link install Big Grin

waiting for clay to chime in about a gas cap...

Horrifying sound coming from my Bronco!!! - bucketobolts - 12-20-2010

I have a parts tranny that I can remove the bell housing, if you need one.

Horrifying sound coming from my Bronco!!! - chuzie - 12-20-2010

I may take you up on that. Once I remove it and do some further inspection I will let you know. My concern is further cracking or other unrepairable damage. I can live with the hole.