The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Bronco build questions - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Talk (https://cb4x4.com/forum-39.html)
+--- Thread: Bronco build questions (/thread-2734.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bronco build questions - AReed - 03-22-2011

We have aquired a 68 bronco body that we are currently looking to build at the shop(I wont mention shop until we have vendor status). It will be a tube chassis most likely but we want to keep as much of the body as we reasonably can. Im looking to build something that hasnt been done before on a EB. It will probably have big power, tons, full hydro, and 40/42s.

My question is what would Bronco owners like to see go into a Bronco that hasnt been done before. As off the wall as it is im sure we can build it. All feedback is welcome.

Bronco build questions - blazinchuck - 03-23-2011

AReed Wrote:We have aquired a 68 bronco body that we are currently looking to build at the shop(I wont mention shop until we have vendor status). It will be a tube chassis most likely but we want to keep as much of the body as we reasonably can. Im looking to build something that hasnt been done before on a EB. It will probably have big power, tons, full hydro, and 40/42s.

My question is what would Bronco owners like to see go into a Bronco that hasnt been done before. As off the wall as it is im sure we can build it. All feedback is welcome.

hmm...not sure. big power,big axles,and big tires have been done...in all forms.

i think narrowed bronco buggies are cool as heck, I have a dove tailed bronco needing a home lol

also...welcome to the site! Thanks for joining,Chuck:xyxthumbs:

Bronco build questions - AReed - 03-23-2011

Thanks man.

The grill has about 16 inches coming out of it now.

I understand what you're saying and its hard to find new ideas with some many amazing vehicles out there.
The thought right now is a:
Engine: 700ish hp Cobra Jet 429(we already have), C6 and Atlas
HP60 up front, 35 spline inner, 40 spline outters.
Drop out 14 bolt rear with 40 spline shafts

Suspension is where we want to change it up.....we have coilovers and bypass in mind but not sure how we want to set it up. Cantilever possibly???? Just something off the wall but this will be a competition rig so it will be built for heavy abuse. Maybe suspension design, little trick things here and there, tube work and such is what we're after. For that matter we'd make it rear engine if we had to. Confusedupergrin:
It would be a magazine quality rig as well. We've put one it already, another shouldnt be an issue with a build like we're going after.

Bronco build questions - Crawdad - 03-23-2011

I have not seen a widened EB, lots of talk on Classic about this. I have seen them "Stretched", narrowed, dovetailed, FBGed, etc. So there you go. A wide bodied EB on full-width Dana 60 axles, F-350 motor, Allison Tranny and 37s (or bigger). Then put a halfcab top (also widened) on it to give a full size EB truck look. Good luck on that extreme build!!:popc1:

Crawdad Wrote:I have not seen a widened EB, lots of talk on Classic about this. I have seen them "Stretched", narrowed, dovetailed, FBGed, etc. So there you go. A wide bodied EB on full-width Dana 60 axles, F-350 motor, Allison Tranny and 37s (or bigger). Then put a halfcab top (also widened) on it to give a full size EB truck look. Good luck on that extreme build!!:popc1:
I hear ya Confusedcratchhe:

low is the key for awesome stability! what kind of competition yall looking at? yall building it for yall or a customer?

hard to beat a good 4 link design..the custom touches have to be in the arms(not just tubes) more like boxed,plates,go fast holes,etc. sexy axle mounts

i kinda like a wide body..that might be neat, but for competition..tires need to be out...unless we're talking baja or KOH??

who is the shop doing the work? also...do we get the build thread when it starts lol?

Bronco build questions - broncosbybart - 03-23-2011

Was wondering who you were, A Reed. Now I know Big Grin

Put that motor in the back fo sho. I've never seen one like that before. How about topping that thing off with a supercharger and EFI?? If you are gonna do it, go all the way!!! I know you have the 429 already, but how about an alum 5.4 w/superchargers or something like on the GT500???

My thoughts are constantly running back to a tube chassis w/sheet metal skins only.

You gotta keep that 14 bolt out of a Ford, now C'mon. Maybe some portal axles? Not sure how much they weigh though.

You know a ton more than I do on suspension setups. Bypass shocks would look killer though. We need a Class C ECORS build. BRING IT!!!!

In the deep recesses of your mind, I am sure you have the finished product already. You can't go wrong. If you want originality, keep as much of the original frame rails as you can, stick with a Ford drivetrain, and go wild. Most of the comp Bronco rigs that I have seen are nothing but tube chassis vehicles with Chebby stuff on them. There are a few rigs that I have in mind that go along the lines of what you are thinking. PM me if you would like.

Its ours. I own Carolina Truggies, we built a JK that is pretty well known in the Jeep world....I've been doing this long enough and dont have a rig to wheel myself, so its time.
I like the narrowed front and rear cause I can see my tires on my side, that's a big thing for me in the rocks. It will be ECORS at first but will be built to Hammer specs just in case.
For go fast im really thinking of how I can make a HOWE power rack work instead of a full hydro setup.....hydro is just too touchy at high speeds even with a 4 turn orbital. With the power rack we should be able to be extremely stable steering wise but the issue is getting steering linkage to the axle with long travel suspension and rocks all around......

yeah the AReed kinda feel in place huh....lol Thats what I use on must forums when Im not promoting the shop.
It will be a ECORS rig for sure. The 429 with kaasi P51 aluminum heads and 14:1 compression for a propane setup it would be tough for a GT500 power to make that reliably, plus the electronics worry me.
The 14 bolt is actually made by SOLID axle, it hasnt been released yet but it a drop out third member like a 9" but will handle more power which is what we need. I understand the 14bolt issues but its not like its coming right out of a Chevy.

i dont have a frame, only a body, it would kinda be nice to have to keep the truggy vibe but I dont know how well it will suit our setup. I have kinda built it in my head. I really want to try a long travel rear...20+ inches of travel with a cantilever setup. Ive thought about it long before Ian on extreme has mentioned anything about it so Im def now looking to copy someone outside the box idea. The leverage and coilover setup on a cantilever baffles me, Id want to bypass to have a longer radius to help control the axle than the coilover if that makes any sense....kinda hard to explain unless I paint ya a picture.

[cough]i have a dove-tailed fr/rear body and frame[/cough]:hysterical:

sounds like this is gonna be awesome

funny, i knew a guy named reed who rocked a orange yota buggie built from yall

...maybe just a coincidentConfusedcratchhe:

he hung out with us from GDIConfusedmokin: