The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Power Steering issues - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Power Steering issues (/thread-2789.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Power Steering issues - Crawdad - 05-24-2011

I've bumped this around Classic the last two days with mixed results. As you can see I probably have a factory power steering pump set up on my 351W. The bracket is a one-of-a-kind made by the PO (my dad & uncle) so that may be one thing to replace in the future. Its very difficult to tighten the belt as well. I do plan to get a shorter v-belt b/c right now the filler neck is close to touching the valve cover (not good). The PS pump has a small drip of course. Are there any alternatives other than spending $200-$500 on a new set-up?

Power Steering issues - 744x4 - 05-24-2011

The outside can is moveable to get the Neck where you want it to point.Only the Big nut on the back and a big O-Ring on the ft of the pump hold it on.Loosen nut a little and reclock it.

Power Steering issues - Crawdad - 05-25-2011

I was able to get a smaller v-belt for the PS pump. The neck is in the 10 o'clock position so that is good. Got the belt as tight as I could and filled up the pump with the motor on. I turned the front tires back and forth but still no help. Friday I will move the oil cooler behind the fan on the cross member.

Power Steering issues - blazinchuck - 05-25-2011

best thing to do is fill with PS fluid(engine off). while front axle on stands...cycle the steering back and forth(full lock) slowly...this will help bleed all air out of the system. make sure you lines arent connected wrong...usually they are different sizes so they cant be hooked up wrong.

now, ive had a problem before were it seemed no PS was working and at times would lock up...this was the shuttle valve that is inside the pump. but this was always a saginaw pump from a chevy. not sure if ford pump have a similar valve that could be faulty.

buy some brackets online or a pull it yard, even try some saginaw pumps and build your own $200 kit with the cost.

Power Steering issues - Crawdad - 05-26-2011

At this point I will try anything! I'll even jack up the rear and see if they will turn if it will get the power steering to work! Confusedcratchhe: Here are some pics I took yesterday.

Power Steering issues - blazinchuck - 05-26-2011

did you just install the PS or was it already on and working before...but now things are messing up??

did you jack up the front and cycle the steering back and forth without it running? does it steer ok while on stands running?

blazinchuck Wrote:did you just install the PS or was it already on and working before...but now things are messing up??

did you jack up the front and cycle the steering back and forth without it running? does it steer ok while on stands running?

The pwr steering pump was already on there when I inherited it and running fine I might add. The only thing I did was add an oil cooler, which required longer lines. So right there is where I may have a lot of air trapped. I have not done your suggestion yet due to time. I plan to do this during my long weekend starting tomorrow. On top of that I hope to begin using my sandblaster to clean up some of the rust inside the cab.

Power Steering issues - blazinchuck - 05-26-2011

remove the cooler below the pump, that will help bleed air also...sounds like you might have a hose crossed or something too

blazinchuck Wrote:remove the cooler below the pump, that will help bleed air also...sounds like you might have a hose crossed or something too

Do you mean move the cooler below the pump or hang it above the pump? I figure if I hang it down the bubbles would rise. Now I might be wrong. I didn't change any of the hose locations. Teacher-in-Service Day tomorrow so I gotta watch the baby! So much for a long weekend.:banghead:

Power Steering issues - blazinchuck - 05-28-2011

yeah, just let it hang below the pump...that will help the bleed air also