The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! (/thread-2889.html)

Pages: 1 2

Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - UTFLIWGYA - 09-06-2011

OK Guys....I tried to get the EB Thru the NC State Inspection today so that I can get her back on the road. I FAILED two things...the horn and the license plate light.

1) The Horn - I have a Lacarra Style Steering Wheel (it's made in France, so I guess that makes it a French Horn - EB Humor...sorry). The inerds are all original including the floating copper ring to make the connection to the horn button. I've re-soldered the wire to the copper plate and turned the AUX Power on...even turned her over to idle and Nada. Any suggestions?

2) License Plate Light (LPL)- I found the problem....the wires weren't ever connected or they had simply rotted away. My sub-questions are:

2a) WHERE do the wires from the Original LPL run to? Thru the tailgate? To WHERE? I might be able to reconnect/splice the wires and all would be fine

2b) If I were to splice into and existing wire (like the tail lights)...WHICH WIRE??? The colors have long since faded, but they all appear to be original.

Note: I have replaced the smaller bulbs on the rear running lights to make sure that the "connections" are all good...now I don't have any Brake Lights or Reverse Lights???? The fuses are still intact and I check them constantly.

Note #2: I have an aftermarket replacement LPL. It has one wire??? WTH do I do with that??? Confusedcratchhe:

Any suggestions as always are greatly appreciated.

Thanx Guys. Brian

Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - firefighter2134 - 09-07-2011

Horn relay may be bad. Lpl wire comes with rear harness section. U should have hole on bottom of tailgate and another behind tag bracket wire is fished through tailgate. As far as a power source for splicing pull one of tailight housings out unplug it turn headlights on and see wgich wire has power. The other 2 wires are for turn and reverse. That may also let u know if you are even getting 12v back to rear lights at all.

Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - chuzie - 09-07-2011

You need to splice the LPL power wire to a brown wire in the harness (running lights). If it is a single wire, I would assume it grounds to the case so make sure you have a sufficient grounding surface in the tailgate when you mount it.

First step with the horn is to see if you are getting power to the horn, if not, power to the relay, if not, power to the switch, if not, power to the fuse, if not, give up and sell me your Bronco for $20.00. Smile

Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - UTFLIWGYA - 09-07-2011

FireFighter and Chuzie.....that'll get me started for tonight....and Chuzie....NO!!! Good try though.

I do believe that the horn is getting power...it "tooted" just as I was removing the sleeve indicating a short of some kind short in the system, which I thought was the loose wire un-attahced from the floater ring (copper). I'll truble-shoot the best I can and try not to electrocute myself in the process.

The A/M LPL has a single wire coming from the back of it. I was told that the housing acts as the ground, so that needs to be grounded to the body. I plan on fabbing a small plate to replace the original until I can get the wiring squared away.

Again, this all has to work for one show and one show only.....the NC Inspection. Thanx Guys.

Anymore suggestions would be awesome!!!!

Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - JayT - 09-07-2011

Wait a minute... What year EB do you have again? 1976 and older are exempt from NC safety (and emissions) inspections...

Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - firefighter2134 - 09-07-2011

JayT Wrote:Wait a minute... What year EB do you have again? 1976 and older are exempt from NC safety (and emissions) inspections...

this is true. i havent had mine inspected in yrs. when i put mine back on the road 3 yrs ago i just went to the tag office and got one. 28 bucks. they never even asked any questions

Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - chuzie - 09-07-2011

If that is the case, just duct tape a flashlight to the license plate and get an air horn from walmart and call it all good for the inspector!

Horn and License Plate Light - Stupid NC State INspection!!!!! - UTFLIWGYA - 09-07-2011

Update: Mine is a 77', so this is the last year for this crap.

Where exactly is the Horn Relay? All I see underneath is the brake-relay, two relays for turn signals (which I have swapped and they both seem to work just fine, and this yellow box with some ancient circuitry in it (have NO IDEA what that thing is...)

As for the horn and the reverse lights...Is there a switch in the steering housing that controls those lights when you put it in Reverse? Is it in that housing just under the steering wheel and horn?

Lemme know what you guys think or just call me at 910-six eight nine-four zero three five. I am getting closer to the flashlight/air horn suggestion from Chuzie!!!! Thanx

OK....so I found the Horn Relay. And why it is located next to the Solenoid I have no idea. Can I even check this thing or do I have to send for another part?

Oh, and I found the brown wire on the running lights....it was hiding under 30+ years of crud.

Gonna dig out the multi-meter and see if I can't get some readings.....(I feel like a Psychic when I say that.....)

Update: The Horn Relay is getting power. Check.

I have running lights and turn signals......but no Brake Lights? Fuses are good. Still no Reverse Lights either.....

Need some ideas guys....Thanx