The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Extended Radius Arms - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Extended Radius Arms (/thread-2978.html)

Pages: 1 2

Extended Radius Arms - cam coffee - 11-20-2011

I am looking to extend my radius arms and was wondering if anyone has done this. How long did you extend them and where is the best place to start. Any help or opinions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah I am running a 5.5 superflex coils and 37's

Extended Radius Arms - SC74 - 11-20-2011

Keith and I built several sets of extended arms ... I think Charles has also built a set for his race rig that is very similar. JP had a set of ours on his old bronco and I think he really liked them - I'm sure he'll chime in on the post too.

We cut the stock "I" about 10" behind the "C" and notched a piece of 1.75" .250 wall tubing to slide onto the "I" and welded the crap out of it. We also put a bend in the tube to help with tire clearance (broke our 1.75" die in the process of building the first arm - remember this was .250 wall - but re-built it stronger and didn't break again). Then we welded a johnny-joint on the backside of the arm and welded a pre-fab johnny joint bracket from Ballistic to the frame.

Here is a link to JP's build when he put a set the arms we made on... check pages 21 - 26 for before and after pics.
http://www.carolinabroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695&page=21

That's exactly what I was looking for! would you recommend dropping the attachment point on the frame or just leaving it close to the frame? also how much of a bend would you say.....maybe 1 1/2 off set?

Extended Radius Arms - scbronco - 11-20-2011

cam coffee Wrote:That's exactly what I was looking for! would you recommend dropping the attachment point on the frame or just leaving it close to the frame? also how much of a bend would you say.....maybe 1 1/2 off set?

I built mine by the same design as above, (stole the idea form Bart's race rig) and i put no bend in the tube. i am definitely going to rub at full lock. if you have the ability to bend the tube, i would say keep the rear ortion of the tube parrelel to the frame rail, and place the bend about 18 inches behind the C. my theory is 18 " is about half the diameter of the tire...

i wish i had done this to mine, and might in the future.

Extended Radius Arms - johnpaulgolf - 11-20-2011

Robert an Keith did a fantastic job on my arms and I beat them to death so their design is the way to go!!! Also it really added ALOT of flex and made a huge difference in every way. If you can talk them into building you a set I think would be your best option!!!

:notworthy:

Extended Radius Arms - SC74 - 11-20-2011

I think we had 9 or 10 deg bend in them - not much but just enough. The bend was about center of tire if I remember correctly. The main limiting factor is the joint at the frame. The stock bushings don't allow free movement there. We didn't do a heim joint b/c we didn't want any side to side movement - just up and down.

JP - Who ended up buying your arms do you remember?

Thanks for the help! I am excited to start this one, I have two sets of arms and I will more than likely have to buy a 20' piece of tube.....I will probably fab up two sets.

Extended Radius Arms - johnpaulgolf - 11-20-2011

"goodoleboy" got my axles and arms ... Have not heard from him since I moved he was a neighbor of mine but not very active on the forum.

Extended Radius Arms - broncosbybart - 11-20-2011

FYI, be prepared to spend a TON of money on the tube! i picked up a used set of Duff's arms for $400 a while back. They are long gone, but by the time you buy 20' of tube and buy the 1-1/4" heims, you're gonna be close to the cost of a set of new arms!

Let us know what you decide to do. I built my frame mounts a little lower than stock, but not by much. You don't need to get them low. The longer arms actually help caster.

You can check my build thread for the ECORS racer to see how I made the frame mounts as well as the radius arms. I copied Keith and Robert on their design.

What a awesome build! I am going to use the johnny joints instead of heims joints but plan on dropping the frame mounts a little for a better angle.
I think I can get the DOM for around $11 a foot and the joints are $50 ea so I will be at $350......not too bad.