The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Tow Rig??? - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Talk (https://cb4x4.com/forum-39.html)
+---- Forum: Non Bronco Tech/Talk (https://cb4x4.com/forum-8.html)
+---- Thread: Tow Rig??? (/thread-3021.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tow Rig??? - scbronco - 12-15-2011

question for those in the know... would a 78-79 Big Bronco with a 351 or 400 make a decent towrig for my 74'? my 74' is similar in stature/weight to Clay's (Snipes) rig. Additionally, i have a boat that weighs about 5000 lbs, that i tow more frequently. i am researching affordable tow rigs, that i know i can work on. This vehicle would not be driven everyday, but i do want it to look good pulling the boat... any suggestions or opinions on a big body bronco, or other Fords?

Tow Rig??? - broncosbybart - 12-15-2011

I have towed with a K5 Blazer before (kinda like Moody's rig). The short wheelbase of the Blazer or FSB isn't ideal. Your boat is pretty big. My 2 cents would be to look for an older longbed pickup, preferrably 4wd (for getting the boat out of the water and for towing your rig in a muddy field or parking lot). 1/2 ton truck would be fine.

Tow Rig??? - blazinchuck - 12-15-2011

get ya an old CUCV chevy truck...diesel,1 ton,low mileage...a lot cheaper than most trucks on the market

Tow Rig??? - josephitguy - 12-15-2011

I cannot remember the formula, but to tow well with a short wheelbase vehicle you need to have a trailer that has its front wheels farther away to stay stable. I have towed a full size F150 with a 79 Bronco with my short car trailer and it was a nightmare, anything over 35 and it would death wobble!
I did find this, but its vague...
"The formula:

110" of TV WB can safely tow (sway free) 20' of travel trailer
for each additional 4" of TV WB, add 1' of travel trailer"

Tow Rig??? - scbronco - 12-15-2011

i guess my theory with the bronco was that i would be able to put people in it on the way to the lake or the trail... with a reg cab pickup, i wont be able to, and with a quad cab pickup, i gotta spend a lot more $$$$

Tow Rig??? - broncomatt - 12-15-2011

I flat towed with my 79 bronco I had years ago. It was hard on it (blew an axle bearing turing hard) and was hard to handle at highway speeds. I once hooked my flat bed up to it but it saged way to much to even drive on the road. I would look for an extended cab 70's ford 2wd, they can often be found for around 1K.

Tow Rig??? - Timstrk - 12-15-2011

I must be doing something wrong. We tow with a Yukon (5000lb) with a 16' flatbed trailer (2000lb empty) with the Bronco on it (4100 lb) and don't seem to have a problem with swaying, going, stopping, turning or whatever. More tounge weight eliminates the sway. Dual brake axles on the trailer is sweet. 5.3L motivates at 65 and 14mpg.

Tim

Tow Rig??? - jdowns67 - 12-24-2011

Find an old Suburban.

Tow Rig??? - Timstrk - 12-25-2011

That being said longer and heavier vehicles make for better towing. More stable. Wider is a plus as in dually but entirely not necessary to be successful. The OMG upgrade in our towing effort was the addition of brake axles on the trailer. Now have two. Spend the money on a good controller and it will make the magic happen.

Tim

Tow Rig??? - scbronco - 03-07-2012

Reviving an old question here... I'm thinking about an Excursion. 99-03 variety with the 7.3, and 4x4. i'm confident it will pull my boat or the Bronco, and i like em'... I'm told that they can go for up to 500,000 miles if properly maintianed. I've found some for sale around the low teens (the budget i'd like to stay in) with under 200K on them, and in really good shape appearance wise. this will not be my dailydriver, but will have to be reliable enough to make 2 hour trips once a week, and up to 10 hours 3-4 times a year. most of the ones i've seen have had recent trans work done.

Any thoughts?