The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
broken thermostat housing bolt - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: broken thermostat housing bolt (/thread-3066.html)

Pages: 1 2

broken thermostat housing bolt - dixieboyz13 - 02-03-2012

Was replacing upper radiator hose today, and decided to replace t-stat while having to do fluid anyways. Put wrench on t-stat bolt, and barely applied pressure, and it broke off. So, now what are my options. probably going to have to pull off intake to get the bolt out, and possibly tap it. Thinking it may be easierto just buy a new intake manifold. Any opinions or advice?

broken thermostat housing bolt - chuzie - 02-03-2012

which bolt? are easy outs an option along with a good soaking of pb blaster and some heat? how about hitting it head on with a drill and remove as much meat as you can and then finish it off with a tap.

broken thermostat housing bolt - dixieboyz13 - 02-03-2012

Its both bolts, chuck came by and we tried to get the top one out first. we tried welding nuts onto it, and still couldnt get it. Got dark so we called it a night. I would have to take the intake off in order to get a drill on the bottom bolt. Gonna try a few more things, and if no luck, ill be getting a new intake.

broken thermostat housing bolt - blazinchuck - 02-03-2012

well, i just got back from Brad's place. by the time i got over there, the other bolt broke too. with the tstat housing off, both bolts stick out almost 1/2". we didnt have vise-grips...but i spent some time welding some 3/8 nuts on the studs, but no matter what...they wouldnt take a weld! so at this point, i think we will swap out to my old performer 4bbl intake(he might get a adapter to run the fairly new 2bbl)

broken thermostat housing bolt - BucknEB - 02-04-2012

I've got a stock 302 2bbl intake in my garage with a fairly new Holley carb on it. It ran great before I took it off and went to a 4bbl set up. Let me know if you're interested. I will not be home for another week but Chuck is welcome to go by my garage and pick it up for you. :xyxthumbs:

broken thermostat housing bolt - firefighter2134 - 02-04-2012

find you some kroil and map gas...will work like a charm

broken thermostat housing bolt - dixieboyz13 - 02-04-2012

Gonna try heat and oil on sunday when I get back from the station. Thanks Doug. Im thinkin if we have to take the intake off, that I might as well replace it with an aluminum one. What 4 barrel are you running, and was it worth the upgrade?

broken thermostat housing bolt - bucketobolts - 02-04-2012

firefighter2134 Wrote:find you some kroil and map gas...will work like a charm

Kroil is some good stuff! We were a little closer I have both a 2v and 4v cast manifold for the 302 I could donate.

I'm not an Edlebrock carb fan, but some have had good service. If you are going to do any trail riding, I would suggest a Truck Avenger Holley. For the street on a stockish engine a single inlet vacuum secondary will work, but if your going to upgrade you can't beat the 4150 series dual inlet Holley.

broken thermostat housing bolt - BucknEB - 02-04-2012

dixieboyz13 Wrote:Gonna try heat and oil on sunday when I get back from the station. Thanks Doug. Im thinkin if we have to take the intake off, that I might as well replace it with an aluminum one. What 4 barrel are you running, and was it worth the upgrade?

No problem, I have an Edelbrock intake and Holley 650.

To answer your question: yes and no

Honestly I love it. It was a noticeable difference in throttle response but damn that thing sucks down some gas. Hindsight, I should have stayed with a 2 barrel carb for my daily driving.

If you mess up your intake digging out those bolts you can have mine. Good luck.

broken thermostat housing bolt - dixieboyz13 - 02-06-2012

So, all efforts of removing broken bolts have failed. Looks like I will be getting chuck's performer intake and bolting my 2 barrel on to it. So, now I am looking for some advice on list of parts to get for this project. I know Im going to get the 2bbl to 4bbl adapter plate. Any recomendations on intake gaskets and bolts, water necks, or anything else you can think of that I am forgetting.