The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Cleaning an old gas tank - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Cleaning an old gas tank (/thread-3688.html)

Pages: 1 2

Cleaning an old gas tank - wepuckett - 09-08-2014

I have a few old gas tanks and was gonna try to use one or a few of them in the builds I have going. Is there a place that cleans and repairs if needed gas tanks? If not is there a good way to do it yourself?

thanks
William

Cleaning an old gas tank - broncosbybart - 09-09-2014

I use muriatic acid to clean them out. Do not breathe that stuff!

After they're clean I will use a tank sealer if they were rusty inside, as the rust will return if not sealed. The aftermarket 23 gal tanks are bad for rusting.

Cleaning an old gas tank - wepuckett - 09-10-2014

Ok I was calling around about this and found a place that will dip the gas tanks, put a spray in liner inside them and paint the outside for between 95 and 125 in Denver, NC, not a lot of places do the spray in liner from what I have found just wondering if that seems like a decent price or should I try to do it myself?

Thanks
William

Cleaning an old gas tank - Crawdad - 09-10-2014

I think that's a lil high but it may be the only spot you may get it done. Keep in mind that at the end of the day it's a 13 gallon tank that might get you over 130 miles a full tank. Have you chkd out vendors tanks as a possible upgrade?

Crawdad Wrote:I think that's a lil high but it may be the only spot you may get it done. Keep in mind that at the end of the day it's a 13 gallon tank that might get you over 130 miles a full tank. Have you chkd out vendors tanks as a possible upgrade?

I will but they are painting, sealling and cleaning based on sandblasting prices alone that doesn't seem bad but wanted to see how you all looked at it.

Cleaning an old gas tank - broncosbybart - 09-10-2014

You can buy a brand new tank for $150. I'd go that route before I dropped $100+ to have an old tank refinished.

If you are dead set on reusing the tank, check out some DIY kits.

Not dead set just was thinking if I was gonna have to have one sealed for rusting might as well use one I have over buying one then having it sealed.

Cleaning an old gas tank - Crawdad - 09-11-2014

I should have mentioned this last night, but keep in mind at the end of the day it's still not worth much at all if you sink $130 in it. You might get lucky and ask for a larger tank on Classic. I'd rather repair an old 20 gallon tank vs a 13 gal. You might just get luck, especially if you trade somebody for parts you now have. Heck I have a BC tank that I won't be using no time soon. And you have parts I need.

Cleaning an old gas tank - wepuckett - 09-11-2014

broncosbybart Wrote:I use muriatic acid to clean them out. Do not breathe that stuff!

After they're clean I will use a tank sealer if they were rusty inside, as the rust will return if not sealed. The aftermarket 23 gal tanks are bad for rusting.

Is there particulare 23 gal tanks your refering too or is it all of them? Also is there anything you can do to prevent that or solve that problem before you install a new tank?

Cleaning an old gas tank - broncosbybart - 09-11-2014

They're pretty much all that way. It isn't a big deal unless they sit for an extended period of time. You can seal them when they're new to avoid problems.

I usually end up cleaning them with muriatic acid and sealing them while I have a rig apart, if it has one and I'm doing a lot of work to it.