The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Heim Steering - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Heim Steering (/thread-3839.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Heim Steering - wepuckett - 08-26-2015

I keep hearing everyone talk about theese and have seen them and got to thinking, could I make them?

Does anyone have any good pics of a new set of them or maybe a blueprint or cad file of them?
Any idea what metal they are made of?
What bushings are in them if any? Could the bushings be sourced if the rest could be made?

Even if someone has an older worn out one might be able to reverse engineer it and duplicate it. If anyone can answer any of theese please let me know.

Heim Steering - chuzie - 08-26-2015

Are you saying you want to make a heim joint or you want to make steering linkage with heim joints?

Heim Steering - wepuckett - 08-26-2015

Both I don't figure the linkage would be all that hard other then getting measurements, the joints would be what I wouldn't be a hundred percent sure i could do till i could see a litte more info.

Heim Steering - broncosbybart - 08-26-2015

I think he is referring to the links.

You could make them out of DOM and weld tube adapters for the rod ends in. The problem with that is the tube wall thickness wouldn't be able to be as thick as if the threads were machined directly into the tube.

Dimensions on the tube lengths vary from the different axles. It is best to measure what you need and have it cut to length. IMHO for the price and quality, I'd have them made.

Heim Steering - broncosbybart - 08-27-2015

As far as heims go, no they really can't be made.

For about $15 each, it isn't even worth thinking about.

Heim Steering - wepuckett - 08-27-2015

That is what I am talking about machining the whole thing I can dump in the thread specs and let the machine cut the threads for me

Heim Steering - broncosbybart - 08-27-2015

If it can cut LH threads, you'd be good. You have 3/4" RH and 3/4" LH threads. As far as the material goes, I'd guess around $10 per foot but that is a guess.

got access to full machine shop at school so it would be about knowing the specs and what material I should use as for where to get the material I would just ask my instructor which of the places we order from would be best
Cant imagine it would cost me near as much as buying it from one of the vendors and would feel a whole lot better turning it myself

Ok found a lot of info on BC Bronco site and Tom's and Bronco Graveyard's site there is still plenty of info left to find out but think that with that info I can find out if it is doable and metal cost. As for if it is doable I believe I can just about if the metal would be worth it. Rather then just buying it.
I noticed some people drill the holes out and BC uses a tapered shank is there a preference or which one works better?

That also got me to thinking about all the people that upgrade to F150 linkage and the knuckles are different size, could a tapered shank be made to fit so that the bronco tie rods could still be used, and would anyone want it? I might be misremembering which is mis matched but I think you get the idea on that one, as they typically have 2 options expensive steering upgrade or expensive brake upgrade if they want disc brakes, could some of that be eliminated?

I am probably rambling some but being back in school and on the machines has gotten me thinking about more projects I could create on my own.

Heim Steering - blazinchuck - 08-27-2015

holy cow....juswow, not at all worth the time. dom isnt cheap, good hiems arent cheap, and in fact the whole stereing system is not that expensive. you can get a complete system in hiem or tie rod for under $300