The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Carolina Broncos
Front diff PM - Printable Version

+- Carolina Broncos (https://cb4x4.com)
+-- Forum: 66-96 Ford Broncos (https://cb4x4.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bronco Tech (https://cb4x4.com/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Front diff PM (/thread-619.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Front diff PM - johnpaulgolf - 05-01-2008

Ok never done this before...but did not like what I saw so thought I would share with yall. Alot of water expected that the oil was more like sludge and some teeth are broke off and and and and and and...

any and all comments welcome

click on thumbnails to see bigger pics

[Image: th_frontdiffpm001.jpg]
[Image: th_frontdiffpm002.jpg]
[Image: th_frontdiffpm003.jpg]
[Image: th_frontdiffpm004.jpg]
[Image: th_frontdiffpm005.jpg]
[Image: th_frontdiffpm006.jpg]

After changing my u-joint Sat. night with Matt we noticed some PM stuff so today I was going to regrease the front but when I toke it apart these needles feel out and some were broke. anyway tell me about it let me hear yall's comments.

[Image: th_frontleftbrakespindlepm001.jpg]
[Image: th_frontleftbrakespindlepm002.jpg]
[Image: th_frontleftbrakespindlepm003.jpg]

Front diff PM - cuz1 - 05-01-2008

you need a new ring gear, just changed mine the week before the bash. also need a new wheel bearing. you will have to beat that one out with a cold chisel. Get up with with Matt. He know better than I.

Front diff PM - chuzie - 05-01-2008

Ok. I would not be too worried about the front end. The sludge is a bi-product of the water which is expected considering what you have been doing lately and I wonder how long it has been since the last change? Some of that nastiness could be old too.

Make sure you clean it all off VERY well. This will help to determine if the broken teeth are new or old by the staining of the surfaces. Inspect to make sure those surfaces do not have any cracks propagating and inspect the broken bits in the pan to make sure they are only ring teeth and nothing from you locker or pinion or etc.

If all that checks I would be comfortable running your setup in that condition for a while longer so long as your hubs are unlocked for daily driving as well as the XFER case too. We don't want the setup turning and generating heat and wear unnecessarily.

I would also double check your axle seals for condition and make sure your vent tube is unobstructed and placed well above the axle. Water is inevitable but fixing those items will certainly decrease the likelihood of contamination.

Make sure you check it again in a couple of months to make sure your gear is not deteriorating.

Would anyone recommend smoothing the chipped gears to prevent damage to the pinion?

Don’t worry about the needles just get a new setup and make sure they did not bore out the housing or damage anything.

Front diff PM - blazinchuck - 05-01-2008

take a good few pics of the carrier to see what locker ya have.the bolt heads on the ring gear dont look recessed, so I dont think its a trac-lock.not sure, but it was locked all day at URE

OK here are some more pics hope yall can see better. I think it is welded. Being a rookie with this stuff yall please chime in. Pull the carrier and all and change seals ect. WOW might be over my head. The diff breather I installed before I ever hit any water. This is the first time I have been in here since I got it so the PO did not know crap anyway thanks everyone for your time and help.

[Image: th_weldedmaybe001.jpg]
[Image: th_weldedmaybe002.jpg]
[Image: th_weldedmaybe003.jpg]

Uhhhhh, I think welded would be a slight understatement!!!

Make sure the tubing leading to the breather is secure and the fitting at the axle housing is well sealed too. Don't forget to check the axle seals.

Water killed a diff of mine before so I like to check it often to make sure it is not contaminated. Fluid and a gasket is always cheaper than a new setup

johnpaulgolf Wrote:After changing my u-joint Sat. night with Matt we noticed some PM stuff so today I was going to regrease the front but when I toke it apart these needles feel out and some were broke. anyway tell me about it let me hear yall's comments.

[Image: th_frontleftbrakespindlepm001.jpg]
[Image: th_frontleftbrakespindlepm002.jpg]
[Image: th_frontleftbrakespindlepm003.jpg]

OK its getting worse...Drums are to far gone same with my spares from my parts truck...$43 a piece for new drums, seals and bearings another $21 a side. That alone is $128 + $19.99 for my new shoes. Almost not worth it. Maybe the front disk brake thread Matt was talking about would be just a few more dollars. Yall come on with advice.

Also maybe we can start a pitty collection for JP's EB. Confusedcratchhe: :hysterical: Confusedcratchhe: :toothy12:

A freind in need is a freind indeed.:notworthy:

I am in bad shape right now with money. Last job I just went trough training for was different than they told me. Now I'm waiting for this other guy with a local job to call me back. Man whoa is me sorry guys but I am in a bad place right now thanks for listening.:crying::crying:

Sorry....sorry...sorry...I suck right now...I don't care, it has to get better...My EB has givin me so much pleasure and happiness lately it will be ok for it to sit awhile.

So you cant turn the drums? I guess they are already too thin?

Did your brakes stop working this weekend or do they just need preventive maintenance?

The bearings are a must since they fell apart and the seals are too cheap to even matter so get them too.

I don't suppose you can borrow the rear pads and shoes and place them on the front? Most rigs take most of the stopping force on the front brakes. I am a front disc man so I do not know if that is an option.

I hear the devil is currently purchasing souls. You may want to look into that as an option so you can get your rig back on the road. Smile

This looks pretty good in my parts truck...maybe swap the gear?

[Image: th_frontdiffpartstruck002.jpg]
[Image: th_frontdiffpartstruck001.jpg]