Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BC Bronco shorty header install with 2-in-2 exhaust
Since coming home from Iraq in August, I have installed a 3.5 lift from JBG, new 37" KM2s and new 17x9 flat steelies. I have yet been able to crank to beast (thats a diff thread all together) since I am no good a tracing wires so I will move on to things I think I can do. Today I will try to install my new headers. I have already cut off the rusted long tube hedman headers (dad was pissed!!!). I also removed the once chromed side pipes which were way too loud. The new headers are the new ceramic coated SS Shorties from BC Bronco. I spoke with a guy named Chuck from there and was very helpful in my purchase, even gave me a small military discount. I tried putting these headers on weeks ago and had some difficulty. I followed the directions and the bolts would not all line up. Some bolts were going in at an angle and stripping. I started out by inserting the left and right header bolts all the way in, but did not tighten. At that point I worked my way towards to middle. This is where the bolts started to go in at an angle. Seemed like to me there should have been dimples in the pipes to allow these header bolts to line up better. Chuck said to try it his way so tomorrow I will try it, hope it is warmer than yesterday.
[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
WANTED: auto column, gas tank, front/ rear seats
sorry to hear your having issues with the headers...let us know how it goes. i have the WH shorty SS...but i didnt have any issues. sounds like ya getting some cool things done tho
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
May be worth cleaning out the threads and using new bolts. How clean is the manifold surface? What about gasket alignment?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I had to "punch" dimples in the passenger side headers. Didn't seem to scratch off any of the ceramic coating though. The header bolts seem to have plenty of room to tighten down. I have tomorrow off so I may try and install the headers. I sent Chuck membership dues for the next two years so I should be getting some pics up soon. So glad deer season is over!!!
[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
Crawdad Wrote:I had to "punch" dimples in the passenger side headers. Didn't seem to scratch off any of the ceramic coating though. The header bolts seem to have plenty of room to tighten down. I have tomorrow off so I may try and install the headers. I sent Chuck membership dues for the next two years so I should be getting some pics up soon. So glad deer season is over!!!

ConfusedcratchheConfusedent ya a PM,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Let us know how you make out. I always chase the threads with a tap before installation. It helps installing the new bolts.
broncosbybart Wrote:Let us know how you make out. I always chase the threads with a tap before installation. It helps installing the new bolts.

Cleaning the thread is a good idea, but you should use a rethreading tap and not a regular tap. A regular tap can undercut the threads which would weaken them and make it easier to strip them out. A rethreading tap doesn't cut metal, just cleans existing threads.

Nick
'73 Bronco - trail modified
you are correct, sir. should have been clearer.
punch dimples on the headers? Really?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
Today was a good day. A lil chilly, but my ole PT gear did keep me warm enuff. I was able to install my new shorty headers with a few explicit words and some bloody fingers. Before I installed, I took 2 pics of the #1) passenger side shorty after I added some "dimples" to passenger side. The #2) drivers side shorty already had the dimples provided by mfg. On the passenger side I think I will need a new oil dip stick (any good ones out there???) since it is bent badly and thye stick wont go in. I tried to remove it but I do not have a good set of brake wrenches. I will probably need to replace tranny lines since I think I might have crimped one, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Heck I forget the spark plug wiring scheme. I just pulled them with no thought of writing them down back in October. I'm sure I will find a thread on how to do it all over when I install the sparkplugs next weekend. Once the Shortys were in I put on the exhaust, again with a few explicit words and a mouthful of greasy dirt. I like the pre-made system, fit pretty darn well for a $100. Then I put on the muffler and it went in pretty easy. Once I tightened all the bolts the system held itself well although I plan to add some hangers for better support. All in all my hands hurt but I am happy with the results. Hope ya'll like it too.

Next job is installing the new longer SS brake lines.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bronco Camo Wraps circlefire 7 3,007 03-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Last Post: circlefire
  68 Bronco wepuckett 126 27,581 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Crawdad
  73 Bronco wepuckett 115 23,841 05-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  That storage locker Bronco 66Roadster 53 11,456 01-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Last Post: jdowns67
  Wheels and Tires. Stock 1996 Bronco 5.8L 4wd or w/ 2" lift and poly body mounts. jrshepherd 2 2,184 05-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Wickedlester
  1969 Bronco Build jtoney51 9 3,680 07-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Last Post: jtoney51
  66 Bronco rebuild Casey835 56 12,291 06-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Last Post: jollygrngiant
  '77 Bronco 4bt Conversion High Pressure 74 36,879 07-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  my bronco build 66bronco 65 15,875 04-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Last Post: bigjake79
  Uhwarrie Prep - CB Install UTFLIWGYA 1 1,241 11-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Last Post: blazinchuck