Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half Ton is Done!
Wish I could say 1 ton is done, but already had a good bit of the parts. Here is my about built thread. Just have to bleed the brakes and change a leaky tire and do a few other things.

Started out taking the rear axle out. Space was very tight in the shop. Got too much stuff laying around. At least some of it is getting used here.

[Image: P1010001.jpg]

[Image: P1010003.jpg]

[Image: P1010004.jpg]

[Image: P1010005.jpg]
Once I got the rear axle out, it was time to tear it apart. It was a small bearing housing. After doing some research and some measuring, it looks like I can use the axle shafts (it had 31 spline Chromo's in it) in the 77 axle housing, but I will need to put some new bearings and retainer plates on it.

The 3rd member wouldn't come out. The 4 link truss was too close to it. So, you can guess that it never got new oil or checked since it was built. I had to plasma the truss apart just to get the 3rd member out. Once it was out, I found that the cast housing was cracked by the pinion bearing (pocket bearing). That is where they are known for breaking.

Last year I built up a 3rd member with 5.38 gears and a full spool. So, that was what I used. I purchased the axle housing from someone else. I have no idea what it came from, but it had ball bearings on the axle shafts. I wanted tapered bearings. I ended up using some 31 spline shafts with tapered bearings and disc brakes (the shafts came from the axles I bought from Chuck a while back). Here is a pic of the 3rd member I built and the front axle housing I used (also from Chuck).

[Image: P1010006.jpg]

Then, it came time to cut some link brackets and weld them to the 'new' housing.

[Image: P1010009.jpg]

Not many pics of the welding process. It took a while. I also had to use new links for the uppers. The original links ended up being 2" too long for my new truss (but at least now I can take the 3rd member out)...

[Image: P1010010.jpg]

[Image: P1010013.jpg]

[Image: P1010014.jpg]

[Image: P1010015.jpg]

For those that are actually reading this, those are coil overs in the one pic. I do have a set of 4 SAW 16" shocks, but won't be putting them on quite yet. I will have to do some more fabbing. Don't want to spend the time at the present.

Here is a pic of the rear disc brake setup. The brackets are super cheap from Speedway.

[Image: P1010016.jpg]
Next was time for the front end. I kinda cheated on that one. I used the housing from the axles I got from Chuck (it was a 77 F-150 housing) that he had already had in his Bronco a few years back. I did regear it, adding 5.38's to it and I used a new center section with an Aussie locker. Kinda interested to see how well it works. Here, the housing is bare but the gears are in.

[Image: P1010022.jpg]

While I was there, I measured the modded radius arms. They measured within 1/4" of the Duff's arms I have. Perfect!! Something went right that was not according to plan... I removed the original modded arms- they looked scary. They had a super tiny 3/4 heim end on them. They used 1/2 inch mounting bolts. Didn't like that at all. Here are a few pics to compare.

[Image: P1010023.jpg]

[Image: P1010026.jpg]

[Image: P1010028.jpg]

[Image: P1010029.jpg]
Next came building the axle shafts. I used the Chromo shafts that came from Chuck's old axles with some CTM U-joints that I ran across a while back.

[Image: P1010030.jpg]

[Image: P1010031.jpg]

Then came the fun part. The caliper retainer bolts were snapped off in both caliper brackets. I could have left it like that (it is a trail rig), but decided to do it right. One was already drilled and I found what was left of an extractor tool broken off in there. That was a real job to fix!! Got it done though.

[Image: P1010034.jpg]
Then came new Moog ball joints, spindle bearings and seals, and installation/assembly. Ratchet straps help immensely with seating the axle wedges in the C bushings.

[Image: P1010039.jpg]

Had a lot of work to do from there. The trac bar was too long, so I had to cut it about 1 inch. I had to drill new 3/4 holes in the trac bar mounting bracket on the frame to get the bar to be parallel with the steering drag link.

[Image: P1010041.jpg]

[Image: P1010043.jpg]

[Image: P1010046.jpg]

I had to fab new bump stops, (one looks VERY ghetto- but in my defense it was mostly there and would have taken forever to remove), cut the ram assist mounts and relocate them, and then cut some material off the upper track bar mount, so that it wouldn't interfere with the ram assist rod.
Here it is in the driveway!! After putting a few quick holeshot starts to it, I noticed no thunking, clunking, rattling, or clanking like I did before with old and loose heim ends and a host of other issues.

[Image: P1010049.jpg]

[Image: P1010050.jpg]

[Image: P1010051.jpg]

[Image: P1010053.jpg]

[Image: P1010055.jpg]

[Image: P1010056.jpg]

[Image: P1010058.jpg]

That about wraps it up. In the future it will get new nose metal (I have a grille and hood that I narrowed 8"), the coil overs, tubed front, revised main cage, and probably a modded front bumper. I really hope I can get the remains of this bumper and salvage it.
I really hate cutting, making, and flaring brake lines. I had to do a bunch of it on this project. I even put a 50/50 proportioning valve back in it, now that it has 4 wheel discs. That was a real pain! At least it is done- pending the bleeding of the brakes. Put a new starter in it while I was at it. Found a company online selling a "mini hi-torque" starter new for $40... Figured I'd try one. It looks identical to an Explorer starter. We shall see. Can't wait for the Gulches!!!!
Nice
68 Half cab
I'm really excited to see your rig at the Gulches too! Great work. Very impressive.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
lookin good charles.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my 1 ton build gulfcrestinc 42 9,646 10-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Last Post: gulfcrestinc