Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Project "Big Country" - Front Bumper Fab
I've been piddling on the crawler some during the evenings and getting it ready for gears and lockers.

1. My rear 4 link has been giving me a fit with anti-squat and rise. By just putting it in gear it would raise the rear of the truck up and drop it by putting it in reverse. By power braking it I could get the rear to raise up aprox 12". It was like I had hydro on it - but I didn't want that effect! I bought my shocks "new" on ebay which was my first mistake. I discovered that my "new" shocks did not have any nitrogen in them and they are supposed to run 200 psi. I have a tank of nitrogen, but did not have a regulator that would go up to 200 psi and didn't want to spend the $100 on one to keep. I finally found one to borrow and got my shocks charged.

2. While finding a regulator to borrow, I pulled my old transmission pan off since the PO had welded a bung into it for the dip tube and it has leaked since I've had the bronco. His JB Weld + booger stick welding just wasn't enough to keep it from leaking I ordered a new B&M pan, but when I put it on I found out that the stock dip tube interfered with my exhaust since there is a brass adapter b/w the pan and tube that pushes it out another 3/4" and right into my exhaust. I considered trying to re-bend the stock tube but it would have taken a lot of modifying to work so I went ahead and got the lokar flexible trans tube. I was going to make my own but the costs of the parts was almost as much as the lokar. I got the lokar in and there is a hard aluminum 90 deg fitting between the flex line and pan - guess what - it hit the exhaust too! It was too much to try to re-bend and not enough fat on it to cut and re-flare the end, so I had to cut and re-weld the aluminum to shorten it. It was still very tight and still needed some tweaking to get by the exhaust, but it's finally installed onto the new pan.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Project "Big Country" - Front Bumper Fab - by SC74 - 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Added some D Rings to the front bumper. Broncitis 3 1,642 07-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  Project Mall Crawler broncosbybart 11 3,290 12-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Last Post: SC74
  My 70 Sport Project..."Nothin' Fancy" ncsubronc 11 2,935 10-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ncsubronc
  Project Snow Ball 73Bronc 99 14,664 09-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Last Post: 73Bronc
  Gen2 to Gen1 front clip conversion ONEWYR 11 4,846 05-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Last Post: supertoyota88