Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 F350 460 need more horsepower
I have a 1989 F350 460/5spd, 4.10 rear. What is the best move to add more power to this truck. I don't know a whole lot about fuel injected comuter controlled engines.
It still has stock exhaust. Confusedcratchhe:
JESUS IS LORD OF ALL....
i would probably look into a new exhaust system, air filter, camshaft.
or put a turbo kit on it. but thats expensive.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
hmm 1989...the first year I'm thinking for efi on the 460. These EFI's were of the Speed Density type, not the Mass Air like mustangs and 96 302 broncos. What this means is that it is gonna be a little harder to make power adders work for ya.

Speed Density computers have a preset table of fueling/spark depending on engine rpm and a few sensors. The computer knows the amount of air and fuel needed based on engine rpm and the stock engine geometry (throttle body, intake, cam, valve/heads, etc). Once you change this enough you really need to have a chip programmed to a new set of fueling/spark tables based on your mods.

The best way to do major mods and still maintain the efi is to convert to a later model mass air style system. This system measures the amount of fuel based on the airflow through a mass air sensor. Any changes like chargers, heads, cam, etc will be measured by the computer and adjusted. Granted there are other limitations like injectors, fine tuning, etc.

I've toyed with the idea of converting the 351 in my 91 over to mass air. My only hold back is the E4OD tranny that is controlled by the computer also. Requires a little more work. Maybe one of these days.

Now ya see why it is so tempting to jerk out everything and slap on a 4bbl and intake :doh:
'70 uncut, '74 ranger uncut, '78 custom, and '91 eddie bauer

I'll keep my freedom, my guns, my money...you can keep the change.:thefinger:
bound4dixie Wrote:hmm 1989...the first year I'm thinking for efi on the 460. These EFI's were of the Speed Density type, not the Mass Air like mustangs and 96 302 broncos. What this means is that it is gonna be a little harder to make power adders work for ya.

Speed Density computers have a preset table of fueling/spark depending on engine rpm and a few sensors. The computer knows the amount of air and fuel needed based on engine rpm and the stock engine geometry (throttle body, intake, cam, valve/heads, etc). Once you change this enough you really need to have a chip programmed to a new set of fueling/spark tables based on your mods.

The best way to do major mods and still maintain the efi is to convert to a later model mass air style system. This system measures the amount of fuel based on the airflow through a mass air sensor. Any changes like chargers, heads, cam, etc will be measured by the computer and adjusted. Granted there are other limitations like injectors, fine tuning, etc.

I've toyed with the idea of converting the 351 in my 91 over to mass air. My only hold back is the E4OD tranny that is controlled by the computer also. Requires a little more work. Maybe one of these days.

Now ya see why it is so tempting to jerk out everything and slap on a 4bbl and intake :doh:

Almost makes me want to sell and get another truck... :rubeyes:
JESUS IS LORD OF ALL....
I also have a diesel! 7.3 with a programmer. No problems other than an oiler line for the turbo that leaked a little oil. My brother in law has a 460 with heavy duty 4 spd. and we haul wood in it without any issues, he also pulls a 40' fifth wheel camper with it when we go to Bristol race. The 460 is a good engine with decent power. Just my $.02 worth! :xyxthumbs:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trkbilder Wrote:I also have a diesel! 7.3 with a programmer. No problems other than an oiler line for the turbo that leaked a little oil. My brother in law has a 460 with heavy duty 4 spd. and we haul wood in it without any issues, he also pulls a 40' fifth wheel camper with it when we go to Bristol race. The 460 is a good engine with decent power. Just my $.02 worth! :xyxthumbs:

I have no problem with the 460 engine. I have a powerhouse 460 in my bronco.

What year is your brother in laws truck?
JESUS IS LORD OF ALL....
It is a 1998, I think!! :xyxthumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't know if there's a difference in the engines but the efi 460 in my 96 motorhome is a beast. It moves the 15000+lb 32' motorhome with ease. E4OD with 4.10 gears. I've towed 8000+ lbs with it and it did pretty good. Is there anything different in the RV 460's then the regular truck 460's?
Don't know for sure, probably cam and timing, different electronics! The 460 is a great engine! :xyxthumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  460 question etc Badass 13 2,531 07-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Last Post: trkbilder