Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spools
ive been hearing about spools for a while now so whats the deal with them are they better than a locker perform the same task of a locker, if not how do they workConfusedcratchhe:
Lifes a garden dig it
100 % traction 100% of the time and no slippage period.Great for the rear but sucks for the ft when trying to turn.I have a 31 spline rear full spool in my EB but you can get by with a 28 spline mini spool if you have low HP and small tires.It is almost the same work to install the full spool Vs the mini spool so what is the upgrade worth to you time wise.
74 Sport Howell EFI & 33's sitting in the yard
73 104 in EB Buggy 5.0 SEFI ,C-4,38's Busy as Hell Building it right now.
00 Honda XR 650R For Sale.Someone buy this bad assed Bike ASAP.
03 Honda Shadow Spirit
I've got a Detroit Locker in my front and rear axles. My bruggy will get a rear spool until I can afford a selectable locker for it. The Detroit has just enough slack in it that you don't chirp your tires every time you start or turn whereas a locker has NO give and you'll chirp the tires on every turn. It's all personal preference and what you intend to use the truck for. If it's for on-road mostly don't get a spool and really no need for a locker, maybe a soft locker or good limited slip. If it's for off-road mostly you can't go wrong with a spool.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
For a trail rig a spool is great. Both wheels will pull all the time. Cuts down a little on your turning radius, but make up for it in full time traction. But for a daily driver they can be aggravating. Hard on tires and axles. I did break an axle 22 miles from home and drove my Bronco back to the house with no major problems.
'72 TBA...
My DD has limited slip, fore and aft. I like it and have no need for spools. They are good on trails and can save your bacon if the going gets really tough! Just my $.02 ! :xyxthumbs:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree with robert and Aaron. I've got a detroit in my rear axle. It does wonders!! I drive my bronco around town on the weekends and see the trails when I can. The spool on the road will just tear $hit up. FordFan has a spool in his rear axle and he drives it as a DD....and he hates it!
So depending on the type of wheeling you're doing, I'd stick with a locker if you're gonna drive it around town.
:beer:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
79 FS 351M, Trac loc HPD44, Detroit 9", 4.56's, 37 Toyo's, 17" Helo Maxx 6
ok so if its stricktly a trail rig my best bet would be a spool in back and a locker up front?
Lifes a garden dig it
A spool is more predictable than a Detroit also as it doesnt pop and scare the crap out of you when it locks and unlocks or throw your vehicle around when it does it.Lots of times if you break a axle shaft you break a Detroit but not a spool.You can do burnouts with a spool on the street as long as you dont turn left or right while spinning you are golden.A full spool needs 31 spline alloy shafts as it is harder on shafts than anything else but I got my 31 Spline Superior shafts and Spool cheaper than the Detroit itself and have never broke anything even with 35's on the street.I have a Tru Trac gear driven LS in the ft that locks just by pushing the brake pedal and you never know it is there.That being said My axles are comming out of my Green rig and going in my buggy due to the spool and 4.30 gears I already have in there for the 38's and my buggy axles are going in my driver and they have Detroits already but I got them that way for Free so I am stuck with them.
03 Honda Shadow Spirit
i guess you cant argue with free:biggthumpup:
Lifes a garden dig it
I got the truck for free after I drug it back from FL for a buddy and I even used his truck and he paid for the fuel also.Plus I sold the PTO winch and bumper off it for 500 bucks so you can actually say I got paid to take the EB.You dont get deals like this very often.
03 Honda Shadow Spirit