Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
66 CRAWLER
hey guys, i bought a 1966 wagon not long ago,
it came with a 170 3 spd with 4:10's, i plan on building me a trail rig out of it,
i have a 200 I6 and im looking for a np435 2wd to go in front of my d20, anyways i aquired a dana 44hd, dana 60 aready with lockers and 5:13"s, do you think the 200 will be fine with the full widths and np435, i plan on running 37's, i dont know anybody that has broncos around here except 1 person, Johnpaul, i guess just tell me what ya'll think that have run the 6 cyls, my main reason is that i already have it and the 6 get pretty good mileage from what i remenber, i plan on doing a tbi system if things go the way i want. later Dustin
welcome again, sounds like a good plan. we installed a 435 in my brothers 6cyl,1/2 cab...that was the best upgrade we did. he had 33" tires, but kinda sucked on the road. we had to make some loger t-case crossmember brackets to reuse the same holes in the frame. Travis(gasgrill) runs the same setup, but he uses propane and bigger tires...never heard him complain at all. keep us posted and post pics too,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
The 200 is a good strong engine. Should build up nice.

Check out Clifford Performance
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

Ford Six
http://www.fordsix.com/

There should be plenty of info and advice to get the planning started.
I have some experience building ford six cylinders if you have questions.

Good luck and post up some pics!
thanks for the replys, im going to go pick the 200 up today it has a c4 with it also, but im not going to use it, i will get pics up as soon as i get a camera lol, i dont have one, never needed it i guess, might just borrow one, what would you recomend as far as upgrades for the 200 for more torque?
Is the 200 out of a car? You may have to swap oil pans. I'm also guessing the C4 is 2wd tranny?
'72 TBA...
yeah its out of a 66 mustang has 89k on it, i think im going to go thru it and freshin it up, and swap my oil pan to it, might swap the head to, the 170's had a smaller combustion chamber compared to the 200 from what ive read
and yes the c4 is 2wd but i plan on using a np435 if i can find one, i have a
4wd version with a 205 but i dont want to use it
Bucketobolts is right.
The oil pan off your 170 will bolt right up. You will also need your pickup tube.
The biggest choke point with the ford 6 cyl is the integral intake cast with the head.
If you really want to get some torque and have some cash to spend get an aftermarket aluminum head. That and a good low end cam and a header will net you more torque than a stock 5.0.

Check out the links I posted above.
Im not real up to date with ford 6's...however I built a 250 chevy for my old pontiac ventura. I used clifford 6=8. i had the alum. 4bbl intake,6 into 1 big header, 2.5" exhaust,high rise alum valve cover(for roller rockers) but never got those or their cam. I did a dyno pull...and hit about 140-160hp and 270-290tq at the rear tires. it was very good, but still not a v8 killer by no means. my buddy Hank(buckdupbronco) has a 6 also, which he bought their 6into2 header..not sure if he every installed it, cuz he had to weld in and separator in the head.I know i spent a bucket of freakin money with clifford...like 1200 or more WOW~!
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I had clifford put together my kit when I rebuilt the 170 in my '66 this winter.
It's has one of their cams in it and I had pony carbs massage my stock carb.
It runs great at 65 mph, pulls the hills good and gets 18-20 mpg.

I could have done so much more but I wanted everything to look stock.

I would love to build up a 6 cyl torque monster. I work at Borg Warner Turbo Systems.
I'm sure I could find something around work to heat up the six!
Yes a turbo on a 6 will be the poop.The sound is awesome and they make good HP/TQ numbers to boot but you have to spool them up.

My Ultimate Stealth wish list is a half cab Turbo 6 on street tires to terrorize the rice rockets.He He
74 Sport Howell EFI & 33's sitting in the yard
73 104 in EB Buggy 5.0 SEFI ,C-4,38's Busy as Hell Building it right now.
00 Honda XR 650R For Sale.Someone buy this bad assed Bike ASAP.
03 Honda Shadow Spirit

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  17" Rock Crawler Wheels Series 51 High Pressure 0 902 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Last Post: High Pressure