Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the 84
Well, we got started on the 84 bronco I bought and have had some success.The po said it had jumped time but before tearing into it we checked some of the logical stuff.The vacuum lines were wacked, plug wires were old and bad lookin and he said he had taken the distributor out.Well we powerwashed about 20+ years of mud and grease off engine, plugged or re-routed & connected hoses, replaced busted coil, plugs and wires.Tried to start it but it was popping back through carb.It didn't appear to have jumped time but the fuel pump has the springs falling out in pieces so i'll change it this week and already got the new chain in it, so maybe this sat we can fire it up.
Stupid hurts when it catches up, and it WILL catch up!

[SIZE="4"]Founding member of the "cheap bastards 4x4 gang''[/SIZE]
[Image: Outalne_017.gif]
good luck with it. i hate messing with vacuum lines. but sounds like you are making progress.
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
sounds good. I like those 80 model broncos
Life is short------drive your bronco everyday!
"Tried to start it but it was popping back through carb" = out of time .It is Firing when the valves are open .
74 Sport Howell EFI & 33's sitting in the yard
73 104 in EB Buggy 5.0 SEFI ,C-4,38's Busy as Hell Building it right now.
00 Honda XR 650R For Sale.Someone buy this bad assed Bike ASAP.
03 Honda Shadow Spirit
Do you know which firing order it uses? Old 302 (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8) or HO (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8)?
'72 TBA...
744x4 Wrote:"Tried to start it but it was popping back through carb" = out of time .It is Firing when the valves are open .

Yeah, when we pulled the timing chain off, it was worn and the timing seemed to be off one notch.I put the new chain on last night.

bucketobolts Wrote:Do you know which firing order it uses? Old 302 (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8) or HO (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8)?

It uses the old firing order. I had read that it changed around 94-95 to the same as the 351's.Hopefully will get it back together and fired up this weekend.If the motor is bad I still have the 351 roller that came out of my 95 that we will can rebuild, the only thing that was wrong was a head gasket poped at around 200k miles.I know i would have to get a intake, carb, distributor, and put an electric fuel pump on it. Maybe the 302 will run and last for a little while.:xyxthumbs:

302 firing order changed to HO order around '82-84 in cars. Trucks were a bit slower to swap, maybe '85 or so. All should be HO firing order when FI became standard. This is also about the time the 50oz balance flywheels/balancers came to be.
'72 TBA...
302 may be trash. Some body thought this was a submarine at some point.I have found water in some bad places, like the crankcase. It may be time to start on the 351.

Ouch.... FWIW, I've got a 302 block (now .30 over) that just needs pistons/rods and reassembly. I was building it for the EB, but now that I've got Chuck's old motor, I'll sell it to ya, if you want or need it... I'm not sure what you need to get the 351 done, so I'm just trying to give ya another option...