Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IROKS
............ are a directional tire. Anyone have an opinion or experience running them "backwards" for improved traction?
Time, Money & Effort
Laurens County, SC
bigjake6 Wrote:............ are a directional tire. Anyone have an opinion or experience running them "backwards" for improved traction?

I have enjoyed my Iroks so far ... I would also be willing to test the backwards theory Confusedcratchhe: Confusedcratchhe: Confusedcratchhe:
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
Tonight I rotated my Iroks "backward." I'll let everyone know if backward is better.........

Attached Files Image(s)

Time, Money & Effort
Laurens County, SC
IMHO, running directional tires "backwards" gives GREAT traction... however, the tread life is drastically cut down... especially on pavement. But, with the IROKS, it's really only the outer tread that is directional... so tread life might not be so bad. I like the way that the inner treads and outer treads "match up" when running them backwards, as far as traction goes...

A better way to improve off road traction is putting them on some beadlocks and airing them way down...

But hey, what do I know - I'm, still running the TTB with Baja Claws... I guess we'll see with your test(s)!
JayT Wrote:IMHO, running directional tires "backwards" gives GREAT traction... however, the tread life is drastically cut down... especially on pavement. But, with the IROKS, it's really only the outer tread that is directional... so tread life might not be so bad. I like the way that the inner treads and outer treads "match up" when running them backwards, as far as traction goes...

A better way to improve off road traction is putting them on some beadlocks and airing them way down...

But hey, what do I know - I'm, still running the TTB with Baja Claws... I guess we'll see with your test(s)!

2x what Jay says is right on. that is usually reserved for boggers,baja claws, and heavy directionals that are in the center of the tire treads
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
JayT Wrote:A better way to improve off road traction is putting them on some beadlocks and airing them way down...

If I remember correctly, he is running H1 wheels so he is covered on the bead locks :xyxthumbs:
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Yes, I'm running the H1 wheels with uncut mag runflats.
Time, Money & Effort
Laurens County, SC
bigjake6 Wrote:Yes, I'm running the H1 wheels with uncut mag runflats.

Any particular reason you did not want to cut the runflats?
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
SC74 Wrote:Any particular reason you did not want to cut the runflats?

People talk about the magnesium runflat catching on fire or exploding or whatever, but that wasnt really the reason I didn't cut them. With 39.5" tires, I didnt feel the runflat was a threat to cutting the inner tire. It has a relatively smaller diameter compared to the tire. I've had my tire pressures under 5 lb and not had any noticeable problems.

I thought you were planning to run H1 wheels. Are you going to cut the runflat?
Time, Money & Effort
Laurens County, SC
I believe it was Gubni that was telling me that he had no problems with the uncut runflats pinching or even touching the sidewalls of 40 or bigger tires. Only after I has one pair cut. So I'm not going to cut the second set.
'72 TBA...