Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
leaking gas tank
any of you guys had any problems out of your gas tank? Mine had a leak a month or so ago so I pulled the skidplate/holder and found the leak hit it with some sandpaper cleaned it up and puton some puddy for gas tank and radiator repair, you know the stuff that you kneed together till it turns grey and thought the problem was solved but today started gettin the gas smell again and noticed the plate/holder was wet. Mabee it held up till I filled the tank the first time since the puddy I had a full tank or mabee something to do with the 3 feet of water I crossed the other day when the road flooded. Anyone else ever used the puddy or have any other options othe than replacin the tank?
Lifes a garden dig it
I've tried the putty fix a couple times, without much luck... It holds for a little while, but then started leaking again... I ended up getting a new plastic tank and swapping it out....
I have used a fuel tank repair kit from NAPA on a metal motorcycle tank with good results. The kit had scotch bright, 2 part epoxy, mesh material, and stir stick.

It may be better if you drain and pull the tank. That way you can flip it upside down and don't have to fight gravity. It would also be good if you can get it inside where it is warm or you can put a light on it till it cures.
'72 TBA...
I have used the tank repair kits on my motorcycles before. They only last a year or two. In a pinch you can use a bar of ivory soap. Old wheelers trick. Lasts untill you hit water.
broncomatt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Damn, I must suck at using the putty patch... I sanded the tank, cleaned, prepped, upside down and all... Patch lasted about a month.. Of course, it was on a corner, so maybe that had something to do with it...
Never have had a leeky tank....knock on wood, but these ideas the guys are talking about sound good.

Keep us posted:popc1:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
79 FS 351M, Trac loc HPD44, Detroit 9", 4.56's, 37 Toyo's, 17" Helo Maxx 6
I new an ol'timer that used to braze fuel tanks. Lets just say he didn't have to worry about anyone looking over his shoulder when he was working on one.
'72 TBA...
bucketobolts Wrote:I new an ol'timer that used to braze fuel tanks. Lets just say he didn't have to worry about anyone looking over his shoulder when he was working on one.

No doubt! My old man had a tank brazed on his DD... I thought the guy was just plumb crazy! But hey, the crazy man said "it's the fumes that are flammable... I'll just fill the tank!"

That's one job that I'll "Pay the man..." rather than the normal "Buy the tools, and teach the man"...

Good luck!
I heard the secret to welding/brazing a tank is to let it dry out for a while, then throw a match in it to ignite the remaining gas till it burns out. My 2 ¢

:imwithstupid:
Joseph I.T. Guy! "Weeehooo, uh oh!"
I have done a bunch of welding and tank repair in the past. I have never had much luck brazing, but I do know it works. The way I was taught was to drain the tank, then fill it with water. When I do a bunch of welding near a tank I have them fill it and then put wet rags around the filler neck, evap tanks, and sending units.
The best luck I ever had out of a patched tank was on liz's yamaha motorcycle. I used regular JB weld on a bunch of spots. Lasted several years, the guy who ownes it now said he has only had to patch it once.
I made my tank that is in my eb, it wont ever rust (14G sheet metal), but I did take the time to seal it with a tank sealer from eastwood. If you could put the patch on and then put the tank sealer in it I bet that would fix it. The sealer is around $30-$50.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Tank tcb3078 7 2,353 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Crawdad