Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catalytic converters
Anyone ever consider or put cats on their exhaust to reduce the smell?
i really dont think cats would help in that area, i think they would reduce emissions and other factors, but not smell. sounds like you might be getting exhaust back in the cab while driving? I would suggest routing the exhaust in a different location to reduce what is coming back in the bronco. Chuzie complained of the same thing, once we changed his up...he says he doesnt notice it all anymore while driving
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
On a full cab or enclosed full size the exhaust exits the side of the vehicle. That way is doesn't get trapped in the low pressure area directly behind the vehicle. This would cause it to come into the cab where you could smell it. Out the side goes with the airflow past the vehicle. A catalytic converter burns unspent fuel from the combustion cycle in the engine. If you are running rich you would set yourself on fire because the converter gets very hot burning the unspent fuel.

Tim
74 Bronco Ranger halfcab w/toys: lockers f&r, wristed arm, C4, D20, hyd assist steering, 37"MTRs, warm 302. Capability, that's what I'm talkin' bout.
[Image: 2rwp56f.png]
I had my duals coming straight out the back and the exhaust smell was horrible. had it like that for years and it made driving with the soft top miserable and dangerous. Chuck and I routed the exhaust out the side just in front of the rear tires and the problem is solved. It took some engineering but it turned out great. When I get home I plan to take pictures and include it in my 4-link write up if you are interested. Another great part is that the exhaust is completely removable.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
JD, my exhaust pipes exit each side behind the rear tires. I don't smell exhaust fumes when using either the hard top or soft top. However, the departure angle suffers somewhat with this configuration. My future plans are to route them in front of the tires through the sheetmetal using trim-rings in the openings. I have seen pics of this mod on several EBs and besides improving the departure angle, it looks pretty darn cool also....Confusedmokin:
Mike Edwards....74 Bronco ($ Money Pit $)
i had mine exit behind the rear tires with the old 6 and had horrible exhaust inside cab when running with out side windows or top. when i had new exhaust run after engine swap i ran it in front of rear tires and fixed that problem..
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a welder then your gonna need a new one!
Seems like it's worse in cold weather. I wonder also if it has something to do with the fact that it seems like I never really get up to operating temperature when it's cold out.