Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temp too low?
Let's see if I can get some opinions on this. I suspect that the guy that built my motor last summer put a 160 degree thermostat in it thinking it would help keep it cool. Now that it's winter, it seems like I'm not ever getting the motor warm enough. I have the stock gauge wich never gets over 150-160 ( hard to tell with stock gauge resolution) and I have an autometer full sweep mechanical gauge that comes off the back of the intake that barely breaks 140 degrees. The heat deesn't feel hot enough either. I think this is contributing to my stinking exhaust. It's really really bad when it's cold out. I thinkI'll try a 180 or 190 and see what happens.

JD
could be that the therm is stuck open also. which will keep the temp low. but you should be fine with 180 or 190
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a welder then your gonna need a new one!
i always try to take the temp ready(w/mechanical gauge) off the head in a water jacket. that should be the hottest temp on the motor. sounds like there might be a 160* in there...i would try a 180* and relocate the mechanical for testing.
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
What do you mean relocate the mechanical for testing? Wher on the head to you have yours hooked up?

JD
now that you ask me...i wondering if i even mounted mine there?? Ill have to go check now, i may have mounted mine on the intake also. i know the chevy motors had a port in the head, but the fords might not.

ok, on mine..i have the stock temp sender near the front of the intake, and my mechanical on the rear driver side of the intake. sometimes, you can mount them in the upper rad hose housing where the T stat is
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Mine is the same as yours then. Does your mechanical reading from the back read cooler than in the stock location?
I run 180's year round. On street only vehicles I will run 190's.
I think I am getting a little more exhaust stink also because I don't have my vacuum advance hooked up right now.
jdowns67 Wrote:Mine is the same as yours then. Does your mechanical reading from the back read cooler than in the stock location?

not sure, my stock gauge always works...but always show 170-180*...so i installed the new mechanical to see whats really going on. so far it seemed to run about the same as stock. but the new gauges were just installed before the novrun@ure...so i dont have alot of time to compare them yet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  C4 Transmission Temp probe location? High Pressure 6 1,591 06-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Last Post: chuzie