Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AODE / 4R70W - Who's got 'em? Chime in!!
Looking for folks on the forum who are running an AODE or 4R70W. I am seriously considering the swap and need feedback.

Thanks.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
Have you considered the hydraulic controlled AOD? It might be a little easier.

Bottom line, they are all very similar and can be built relatively the same. I've never had one in an EB application, only trucks, but I wouldn't hesitate to put one in.
2000 F250 Crewcab, 7.3L, BTS Transmission, GTP38R, on-board air, blah blah blah
I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but I believe the E4OD is a bit longer than the C4. Do you have room to play with driveshaft lengths with the 4 link conversion?

The AOD is a good transmission. The only draw back to it is the OD-D-L shift pattern. You can pull it to low and hold first gear. The next detent will let it up shift to second, but to hold second you have to pull it back to L. Then if your speed drops it will go back to low gear. Or if you up shift to second and leave the shifter in D, it will not hold second and up shift to drive or 3rd gear.

The TV cable is also a critical adjustment for the AOD, too loose or too tight and the tranny will not last.
'72 TBA...
It is about 1.5" longer and my shafts will be fine. May have to extend the front a bit. I considered the hydraulic version but I have seen a lot of chatter about the earlier versions being unreliable. I really like the idea of being able to control how this thing shifts through the programmable computer. The shift points are also programmable.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

Tons of good information on these can be found here:
http://www.becontrols.com/tech/ch3aodeupgrade.htm

Also, Pete over at PT Transmission has most of the parts to fix/upgrade these last time I was over there. He's been a good local resource for the past few transmission I have done. His prices were also better than I could order them online.
2000 F250 Crewcab, 7.3L, BTS Transmission, GTP38R, on-board air, blah blah blah
Pete is a great resource. He helped me a ton on my c4 rebuild and my Honda tranny. I will give him a call.