Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its Broke :/
Alrighty so I have a slight problem. I was driving home from my dads today on the interstate, doing about 70, and when i would go up some hills it would downshift into 3rd to catch back up to speed, but when it downshifted and the RPM's got up, smoke would start bellowing out of the exhaust, When I finally got a rest stop, The viability was almost zero due to all the smoke. My and my dad cannot figure out what the problem is. Idles sort of ruff, and bellows white smoke out the exhaust, smells kinda gasy. Replaced the MAP sensor to see if it was maybe running to rich but it didnt work.

Anyone know what the problem could be. Cause of now, shes sitting outside of Lugoff, SC at a rest area all be herself while im 1:30 hours away at my dads.:crying:
White smoke bellowing from the exhaust usually means a blown head or intake gasket, particularly if it was missing, stumbling, or as you said, idling rough....Did you check the oil on the dipstick for the presence of coolant? Did the oil look like chocolate milk? How about the oil level on the dipstick, was it high? Check the coolant level in your radiator, did it drop any? With the presence of all the smoke in the air, was that "gassy smell" more of a sweet odor? If any of these conditions exist, you've got coolant leaking into one or more cylinders.... Confusedcratchhe: :banghead: Confusedcratchhe: :banghead:
Mike Edwards....74 Bronco ($ Money Pit $)
Ill give those all a look later when i get a chance to pressure test it also. It sounds more like its flooding out. But i will for sure keep you guys updated! Thanks man
dayum, lets us know what you find
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
as said, white smoke is usually water. you can take the radiator cap off (when it is cool) and check coolant level. if it is low, add some coolant and start it. if it bubbles up, telltale sign of a head gasket.

on a 92 i had, the TPS would make it act kind of like yours is. check the TPS sensor. if it is bad, i can about promise that some spark plugs are fouled now.
Well after a $345 dollar tow. Finally got around to check her out. Did a compression test on the cylinders. #2 had zero. Put a camera down to check it out. And there is a hole about the size of a half dollar on top of the piston. #8 had around twice as much as it should.

Now when I bought the truck it had a rebuilt Jasper motor in it. But I was unsure of the warranty. Had the shop guy call them up today. Turns out the motor was just dropped in this past September, and they would send a new motor! But they said there unsure weather or not they will cover labor which I really do not care about because my dad is a mechanic and will be doing it all anyways.
So much for a TPS sensor!!! Glad you got it figured out and that they are taking care of it.
Sounds like you got lucky! Glad you got it figured out and they are going to send a new motor.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
At least on the bright side you will get a new motor and you will know exactly what was done to it and how it was treated. It was lucky you had a warranty! That's pretty cool that they honor the warranty since you didn't purchase the motor yourself.
Hot dayum, new horses under the hood!! Keep those horseshoes in your back pocket cause you are one lucky mofo to get a new motor out of this deal!! Confusedmokin:
Mike Edwards....74 Bronco ($ Money Pit $)