Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New in NC
OK guys.....I havent been in NC too long and I have a question on engine swaps. I have an 88 Fullsize Bronco with the 5.0 in it. I live in the mountains of NC but might be moving to the Charlotte area very soon. My question is I would like to put a carbed set-up in my Bronco....can I do that or do I have to keep it EFI with the computer mess on it. I ask because I am old school and love the carb set-ups. What are the laws in NC Confusedcratchhe:
welcome aboard and thanks for joining! it is doable, but how much stuff is tied into the harness? ie. cruise,auto,lights,fuel,etc? is the efi running ok? i dont know bout the laws and if NC has any snuff test
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
If I can do the swap, I will be putting in a c6 and the BW nonelectric transfercase. I plan on this being my DD and hauler so I am not worried about losing the overdrive and I could careless about cruise control. It is the laws I am not sure about. NC does have the sniffer but from what I understand it is for the newer vehicles that have OBD2, basically 95 or newer but I am not posative on this and was wondering if there was anyone from NC on here that could help me out on this.:banghead:
With an 88 you should be ok. some of the87-88 had carbed 351s.As far as the law on pre 96, it's ''saftey only'' inspections.
Stupid hurts when it catches up, and it WILL catch up!

[SIZE="4"]Founding member of the "cheap bastards 4x4 gang''[/SIZE]
[Image: Outalne_017.gif]
Welcome aboard...

No sniffer tests... Just OBDII as far as emissions go.
it says you will be in cville soon? thats in my backyard. welcome to the site
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a welder then your gonna need a new one!
welcome aboard! the only area you might get in trouble is that the factory emissions stuff needs to be in place. not sure how hard they enforce the rules. you'd be removing the egr system at minimum.

i've got a C-6 if you might be interested. came out of an 88 full size Bronco.
One word.....SWEEETTT!!!! I also asked a DOT guy today and he said the samething...only OBDII models need apply. Which means a carb set up is going on in the spring. i might also have a 79 Bronco coming my way too for maybe $500. It has been sitting for about 6 years and I know it does start but hasnt been for about 2 years now. I might rebuild that one too.

Firefighter.....I have a buddy that lives in Lincolnton area. Been there many times. Drive though there on my way to C-ville all the time.

Broncosbybart.......I might take you up on the offer. But I can tell you it wont be till spring as of right now the 88 is my DD.

Thank you all for helping me out and welcoming to the site.
Be careful with your swap. It would behoove you to remove the emissions sticker from under the hood so the pre-teen Jiffy Lube guy doing the inspections won't know what to look for. Per NC rules, all safety inspections must have all applicable emissions components on board and "APPEAR" in good working order :banghead:. It's not hard to slip a few bones to someone to look the other way either :deal:, just CYA. Good luck and enjoy!
Stupidity is good for business, Very Good!
I have a factory carb set up on mine. But as long as its 95 and later model they will visually inspect it. Sometimes they can be douches about your cats or mufflers if you dont have them or anything that can be out of the ordinary but most local places are pretty chill about it especially the "mom and pop " inspection places. But as for me i have a father in law as a service manager and i dont even bring my bronco to the shop haha. Just the vin and milage and im set.
Is that a tank?....NO...its worse....Its my Bronco