Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help decide...
im wanting to best tightest posi unit for the rear. i know bout detroits...but im using a 5 speed and dont want it loading and unloading all the time in the turns. anyone running manual trans and lockers or posi?? post up and gimme your opinion pleaseConfusedmokin:
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I have no first hand experience but i have always heard the Detroit TrueTrac was the best Limited slip on the market. No clutches to wear out either.
thats kinda where im leaning...cant afford ARB or any other "on-off" lockers
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
BTT
you know my vote is for the true trac as well.
i say go truetrac... never heard anything good about anything else... you could get the factory LS for the 9" from accuautoparts.com, but i think that would spending dough in the wrong direction... they hgave good prices on detroit products too though...
My Build Thread-
http://www.carolinabroncos.com/forums/sh...php?t=3919

You're gonna have to be more specific... 11/12/11
I hate to say it but some where I have a comparison of all posi units, it clearly states that Power Lock is the most aggressive posi with out going to a true locker. That is why I have it in the front of my 71. True trac is a close second to the factory locker, but if you chose to go this route I will share an old school upgrade to a factory style locker. When I worked at the ford dealership there was an oldtimer who drag raced and saw me rebuilding a oe posi unit. He showed me how too do it right and to put some small washers behind the springs. This increases the pressure on the clutch disks and keeps it holding longer before the torque can over power it. The other thing he said was to not use an additive. This incresses the slippage to make it more comfortable for people who are not accustome to driving something that will chirp tires on corners. In the end it comes down to your budget. But in my mind if I didnt want a locker I would go with the Power Lock unit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Matt, are you referring to putting some shims behind the 4 little springs? I am going to do that for sure on the ford posi unit. i was also going to mic the clearance in the clutch pack and might try and squeeze 1 more disc on the end (the one that has the metal on one side and the fiber on the other). this is for the race rig and will see no street use. want it to be as close to a locker as possible. i ordered some new clutches for it and am pondering on installing them dry...

sorry to hijack you chuck Smile
The washers (or shims) would go into the holes for the springs in the stock posi unit. I did this for a short time on my rig beforfe I finally got a detroit and larger shafts. It helps. I also tried to put an extra plate back into the unit but couldent get the case back to gether to put the ring gear back on. It may cause too much pressure and would just end up being a spool or worse breaking something. I had too look very hard to find washers small enough to fit into those holes. I have a mini spool if you want to go that route?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nah, can't spool the rear per the rules. I had a spool in the rear and a posi in the front. (1 locked axle only in my class). Now, I'm gonna run a selectable in the front and posi the rear, but want the rear posi to be really tight. I'm worried that the extra clutch plate will do the same thing that you are describing. Any idea on how thick those shims were that you were using? I'm going to use some small washers and stack them until I think it is good...