Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSS Donor Vehicle
Is there a VSS I can rob at the pick-and-pull that will work with the stock speedo cable, D20, and RJM wiring?

Is a VSS a necessity with an automatic trans? It is not listed on RJM's site as a necessary part and the truck runs well without it, but I haven't put any miles on it yet either.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
You can run without it but " the emmisions programing can cause a manual transmission vehicle to stall out while decelerating if no VSS is used" (RJM).

Chuck and I run one. I have an auto and he has a manual. You can pull it from just about anything that is EEC-IV 87-93 Tbird, mustang, mark VII, crown vic, etc. Make sure you snag the connector with it and not just cut wires.

Here is a pic

[Image: vss.jpg]

To get it on your rig you will have to adapt it by removing the gear from your cable and inserting your cable into the back of the vss which will mount to your d20. you can marry the two with a long bolt and a piece of 1/8" pipe for a support between the two tangs. Maybe chuck can take a picture for you. its pretty easy.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I did talk to Chuck and ended up getting a $15.99 VSS from Auto Zone for a '89 Mustang 5.0 and it looks identical to your picture and the pic on BC's website.

I love going to pick-and-pulls but by the time I drive 30 min there and back, chance that the right vehicle is there, and pay for it I'd rather spend the $16 and have that time working on my truck.

let us know how it works out robert
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
It's 99% done... what a PITA! One of those days where nothing wanted to go right.

The stock shaft was about a 1/16" to large diameter to go into the plastic housing of the VSS. I started with a drill but it was too agressive so ended up with a dremel to shave the plastic housing. In the end I went back to the drill to get a clean "wall."

For some reason the new VSS did not want to seat all the way into the D20 case. I measured it versus the original and it was the same, but must have been just a hair wider - not enough to measure because after sanding on it with some emery cloth I got it to seat.

The shift rail stub that sticks out of the back of the D20 is somewhat in the way to add the stock shaft to the VSS but it will still work. I had to go get a longer bolt and a steel spacer to finish it and I haven't put those in yet, but that should be all I lack to finishing it.

Thanks Chuck for all of your help on the phone today ... from fuel line plumbing to VSS.

no problem man...glad i could help

now, post pics lol
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Whoops. Forgot to mention you have to drill it out and that the cavbe has to be stressed around the D20 detents. Guess it's been a while. Glad it all worked out though.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]