Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new meats!!
well finally bit the bullet and purchased some new meats for my 01 superduty. went with 315/75/16 fierce attitudes. i had the shop check the alignment as i had some wear issues with the previous set. i also found that i had a hub assembly with some play in it so i told them i would swap it out then bring it back for an alignment however...both lower ball joints were shot so now i am tackling that project...hope to have it back together tomorrow but right now its beer thirty :drinkbud: pics of new meats soon to follow
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a welder then your gonna need a new one!
aah yes, been there and done that a few times. 1 word of advice. don't drop a rotor on your big toe while doing that job!!

also, use good ball joints.
ive never changed them before so it is definately a learning experience.
ball joints are no fun, but worth it compared to the price a shop charges. I got lucky on my wheel bearings and they were separate bearings rather than the expensive uni-bearing.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
i've never had such luck w/mine. always had unit bearing hubs on all of them. talk about pricey!

If the vacuum hubs still work (doubtful), they won't when you are done. You can buy all new seals for them but the big seals are a pain to install. I've done it twice and both times the hubs still didn't work when I was done.

Rent a ball joint press from Advance and get a big air gun, if you don't have one already.
i got new seals while i was at it and pass side was pia. so i didnt make it to drivers side. that job couldnt be done without a ball joint press for sure. and robert your new superduty is a unit bearing.
I replaced my ball joints a while back. I can say I've done worse, but it is still a good job. Not to mention it drives like new money now.
'72 TBA...
firefighter2134 Wrote:i got new seals while i was at it and pass side was pia. so i didnt make it to drivers side. that job couldnt be done without a ball joint press for sure. and robert your new superduty is a unit bearing.

I replaced the inners, outers, and seals not long after I bought it. Got all timken and had maybe $75 at most in it to do both sides. Mine is an early '99 and only 2wd. If I remember correctly one of my bearings (inner or outer) came with the race, but the other I had to order separately - go figure.

I have heard but never tried that if you freeze the new bearings they will go in much easier. Anyone tried that?

Where's pics of the new meat???

heres couple of pics

Attached Files Image(s)