Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
u joints on my 79
Im getting my 79 back on the road need new u joints on the front axle need some help never done these before what is the best way what special tools do i need thanks yall
you talking front axle or drive shaft? if it is the outer wheel joints, you need to take all the parts off the outers (hubs, rotors, spindles). A block of wood and a big hammer might be needed to remove the spindles. You don't want to hammer directly on them. After they come off you can then remove the axle shafts.

A u-joint puller would be very helpful to have. You need to remove the C clips that retain the caps. I usually have to push the caps in before I can get the clips off. After you get everything done, make sure the joint is free. If it binds, put the assembly in a vice and use a punch and hammer to try and open the ears of the shafts up a bit.
The ones on the front axel are the ones that need to be replaced can it be done without pulling the axel
you don't need to remove the axle housing itself from the vehicle. just the outer parts will need to be removed. here is an article. please note that you do not have to remove the diff cover and drain fluid, unless you want to.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/4...ment_.html
Ok didn't know if there was a keeper key in the diff or not
Not to change the subject but how do I become a full member so I can upload pics
bigjake79 Wrote:Ok didn't know if there was a keeper key in the diff or not
Not to change the subject but how do I become a full member so I can upload pics

this should help "becoming full member or posting pics

snap ring pliers, spindle nut socket, hammer,socket set,allen wrenches,small screw driver or small picks(for external ring) and i find a good bench vise works great for removing and installing new joints.
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U Joints countrywild0409 3 2,733 05-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  EB D44 BALL JOINTS GOODOLEBOY84 0 1,378 11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Last Post: GOODOLEBOY84