Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skip or misfire
Just wanted to throw this out there in case someone has an idea. My bronco runs great well let's say very good. HEI dizzy, MSD wires, motor craft plugs, engine is stock, Holley 2 barrel carb. Been reading a lot to find possible culprit not sure I've found it yet. Just out of the blue it will make what appears to be a skip noise in the exhaust. Can't tell anything listening to engine. I've been told by not a mechanic that its nothing it's my exhaust. Anybody encounter or have ideas?

There's no trash in my trailer!
Engine is stock?!!!!? I call bullchit! Wink
[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
WANTED: auto column, gas tank, front/ rear seats
May have plug wires wrong

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Should I change plug gag if so to what?
What about vacuum? Ported or full?
Or does any of this matter

Yeah, all that matters. You want ported vacuum and plugs need to be close. That said, anything might be a culprit. I know you said it runs well but does it do anything else (black smoke, ping, hard start, etc)?
It is and has been set up with ported vac and factory gap motorcraft plugs. No smoke at any time, starts every time with just a bump, and not sure bout the ping but don't think so. It is a sporadic thing I guess that's why it's hard to find. Checked plugs and they are super clean(burning) looking.

Well I finally put vacuum gauge on and adjusted the timing to what I think was better than the timing light here's what I did
Hooked up vacuum gauge and advanced timing as far as I could and keep it running quite smooth
I ended up at a solid 20"
At this point I checked with timing light and it was way up high like 31 degrees
Next I adjusted the idle mixture screws to get best vacuum
That got me 21"
Then adjusted the curb idle down to 700-750 RPMs
At this point I rechecked timing with light and I'm at 12 degrees
It's running the best that it has quite good really
I have confirmed with vacuum gauge that I do not have a misfire so random noises coming from exhaust are pin holes in my hasty weld job on exhaust tubing

You got that hardtop back from the chrome shop yet? Wink
[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
Dude that thing is hanging from the rafters again. I'll get it done before winter

Yeah I remember, I just wanted to start a rumor!