Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purchasing a Welder? Help!
Just curious ive done welding for my old job in the past, pretty much a beginner still but im looking into buying a new welder. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the best welder or which one is best for doing all work on my bronco, like then working with the frame, suspension, Body ect. I read somewhere Mig welding isn't good but its what I learned on and find easiest to use and best results. Sorry if this wasn't the best place to ask in the forums didn't know where else to ask. Thanks for any help and imput!
You're good here. MIG is perfect for all above. I recommend a 180 series Lincoln or miller. Get a gas bottle and solid wire. 0.23 or 0.30 is fine. If you don't have an auto darkening helmet, get one of those too
Keep in mind your power source as well. If you don't have a 220 volt outlet a 180 MIG welder won't do you any good. Although you can have a really long extension cord to your clothes dryer outlet to make it work. Even a 125 or 140 MIG welder may require 20-25 amps to work accordingly. Charles made a good point, get a tank of gas and solid wire, much better penetration. Lots of good welders out there. Tractor Supply sells Hobart brand. Miller and Lincoln seem to be the unanimous choice of most garage guys. I personally have a PowCon 200SM.

As already stated, spend as much as you can on the best auto darkening helmet you can afford. Leave the helmets alone at Lowes or HD, you get what you pay for. Stick with Miller or Lincoln helmets, expect to more than $100 for a very good one. You only have one set of eyes so protect them!
[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
WANTED: auto column, gas tank, front/ rear seats
X2 with these two guys... I have a Lincoln 180T... if you go that route consider the C instead of the T. difference is the voltage setting... t means toggled and gives you five voltage settings. C means continuous and gives you infinite voltage settings between you min and max volts capable. with the T you will find yourself between voltage ranges occasionally. its a lil pricier for the C but I think it would be worth it (for me). It may also be a lil more challenging to get the hang of at first, but once you are used to it, you will prolly be happier...
My Build Thread-
http://www.carolinabroncos.com/forums/sh...php?t=3919

You're gonna have to be more specific... 11/12/11
Oh yeah, it cost me 130 bucks to have an electrician come install 2 220 volt outlets for my welder... nominal if you ask me...
My Build Thread-
http://www.carolinabroncos.com/forums/sh...php?t=3919

You're gonna have to be more specific... 11/12/11
Local friend has this one for sale -$200. PM me and I'll send you his cell number.
[Image: vu7azety.jpg] attached

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on purchasing a sand blaster Crawdad 13 2,268 06-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Crawdad