Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorry we missed URE!!! but...
Durhamtown Tellico was AWESOME!!!

So my toyota buds and i were going to attend URE with everyone this year, but waited to late to get a campsite. so in the 9th hour we decided to try western NC instead. we hate we missed the club event and all of you guys, but the trip was fantastic.

We stayed at Crawford's, which is under new management BTW, and the camping experience was great. We were the only campers in the place, and got our pick of sites. We cozied up next to the creek, and cooked, drank, and BS'ed everynight which is exactly what you want out of a campsite. Also, they are only 9 miles form the park, and the trip form site to trail was really about the same as URE... We will definitely use Crawford's as the preferred spot for future trips.

As for the trails, we were blown away by the varying level of difficulty offered in the park. We went 2 days, and while we didnt rush through the park or try to hit every trail, we only did about 40% of what they had. two trails we were able to see but never get onto, were rocket launch and Leafspring, both of which had very steep, tall hillclimbs at multiple points on the trail. these two trails are observable form Lucy's gap road which is much like the gravel roads at URE and connects each trail to one another. Lucy's Gap runs from the entrance until about 2/3's into the property and is the main thoroughfare.

We ventured in to the BOWL area which is at the furthest reach of the park, and contians about 80% of the real rock crawling there. we played on a handful of obstacles and left about 8 or 9 of them untouched as they were easily more difficult than the hardest lines on either Daniel or Kodak at URE.

One of the coolest things about the place is the scenic opportunities. We were able to go see buzzards roost overlook which displays 4 converging mountain ranges, a distant view of Murphy Air Field, and several mountain lakes and rivers. also we visited Mulkey falls, an active waterfall on the property, and the crash site from a fatal 1994 cessna crash.

My poor bronco still had fuel pressurization issues and prevented a speedy trip through the park, but despite the handicap, i was able to traverse a good bit of middle difficulty terrain, and definitely had her at the most severe uphill angle i have acheived in this truck yet. the hills there can be very steep.

The single best element of this park is also the worst element of URE; there is zero dust at tellico. locals told us even in the middle of summer the place is at least damp and never dusty. For that reason alone, We have decided this will be a 3 times a year trip minimum. it was the most enjoyable fourwheeling experience i have had.

and before you guys blast me for it, i know, no pics... Sad we were way to busy wheeling and i only got a few, most of them not wheeling... sorry... ill post what i got soon...

Nick
My Build Thread-
http://www.carolinabroncos.com/forums/sh...php?t=3919

You're gonna have to be more specific... 11/12/11
Thanks for the report. It sounds like a must-do!!

Sucks we missed ya, but maybe we can all get together up there!
Tim and I are planning on going in the spring. We should coordinate and you can be our trail guide.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10th Annual NovRun@URE '15 **The Big One Zero**TEN** chuzie 325 89,608 10-25-2020, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Bronco Biff
  14th Annual NOVRN@URE!! blazinchuck 15 8,621 11-10-2019, 08:37 PM
  12th Annual NovRun@URE '17 - TWELVE!!!! chuzie 18 8,746 11-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Last Post: godevil
  9th Annual NOVRUN@URE '14 chuzie 172 23,578 12-31-2014, 12:17 AM
  Final URE run/Meeting nhopman 3 2,111 12-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  URE fun run anyone??? broncosbybart 22 7,144 07-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  8TH Annual NOVRUN@URE '13 blazinchuck 124 18,484 12-17-2013, 10:00 PM