Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do before Tellico?
As a few of you who saw my Bronco at the NovRun can attest to, I have lots of things I need to do to get my Bronco in a better trail/rock climbing state. As funds seem to always be limited toward projects, I am trying to decide where to start. I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to the bronco and the parts that make it run but I am learning as I go. To start I have an ford 9" open rear end. There were welded gears in it when I bought it but at the time I was mainly using the Bronco as a driver and was tired of bouncing around every turn. I found a used open 3rd member and just swapped the two. I have thought about putting the welded chunk back in for the trip but after I took it out I broke it down and know that it needs to be lined back up a certain way to be put back together. I am not sure of the exact way to line this back up and do not want to make it worse. Is there a better option, I know that the best option would be to put in a locker, but it all depends on cost.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Also I forgot to mention its 28 spline axles. And I hate to say it but I don't actually remember what gear ratio.
It really comes down to three crucial components to significantly change your "quality" of life on the rocks.

1.Tires
2.Suspension
3.Drivetrain

Everything else is nice to have, but these three are pretty important; not just because you don't want to be "that guy" who everyone always has to winch over the next obstancle, but also because you are more likely to severely damage your Bronco or break a component putting 10x as much effort into an obstacle than necessary.

Unfortunately, these three items are EXPENSIVE and most folks can't afford to dish it all out at once. If I had a pretty stockish Bronco, my first choice would be a rear locker and 31 spline axle shafts. You can keep your 28 splines and purchase a locker, but I GUARANTEE, later down the road, you will be purchasing another locker and 31 spline shafts. EVERYONE does it!

The rear locker will help get you through most easy to moderate trails regardless of your tires or suspension as long as your 4WD is working; 3WD with no locker in the front Wink

As for the welded 3rd you took apart, it really depends how far you dismantled it. It could be a simple matter or checking the backlash or as complex as a full set-up. More information is necessary.

Btw- this was my 4,000th post. I really need to get a life!
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
72_EB_GUY Wrote:Also I forgot to mention its 28 spline axles. And I hate to say it but I don't actually remember what gear ratio.

If its a 4.88 I know where a built third member is sitting with a Detroit locker.
68 Half cab
I did some checking and it has 3.50 gears. I know that I need to just swap out the axles and go with a 31 spline. Especially since the axles have grooves and I have to keep changing out the seals. If any one knows where a good setup is that's not to expensive let me know. As for the welded gears would it be even worth the trouble to try and get back together and back on the Bronco before the trip. Or should I just stick to the easy trails till I have the locker and axles I need?
Shoot us a pic of the setup as it sits and we can yell you what may be needed to get it in for Tellico

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

Here is what I have. This is like this because I let someone I know who said they knew how to swap out the chunk help me. They started at the drive shaft and undid every bolt they came to till I stepped in and stopped him. I know that at the least I will need a pinion seal, from there I am not sure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8646[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8647[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8648[/ATTACH]

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like you MAY be good to just drop the 3rd and pinion in and roll with it.
IF the four carrier bolts and the pinion nut were not touched, you can rest assured the setup is sound.. The teeth look pretty good though.

Wait, I don't see a shim on the pinion support. If you are certain there wasn't one to begin with, you are fine.
It would have been a metal gasket looking deal that goes between the pinion support and the 3rd.

The 4 carrier bolts on the 3rd were not touched. The bolt on the end of the pinion was taken off it is just hand tightened in the picture. As for the shim, it was in the bottom of the box so I have that.
Okay. You can still make it work just be extra careful not to OVERtorque the nut since we aren't sure if you are running a crush sleeve or a spacer. I suppose it would be easy enough to check but either way, torque is important (i.e. don't use a flippin impact wrench). Since it is already loose, you can go ahead and change the pinion seal too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tellico campground pics from Doug. Timstrk 2 1,132 06-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Timstrk
  Trip home from Tellico wepuckett 1 1,164 05-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Broncitis