Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3G alternator
So I'm having some problems with them. Last year I killed 2 of these stupid things but now I have a weird issue. When I first put the alternator on it will out out like 13.5 volts. But after I go drive the best I get is like 12.9. I have double and triple checked the wiring and the mega fuse. I took the alternator to the auto parts store and it checks out there. So I look at the common denominator for all my issues and it's the same belt. It tight and doesn't squeal,But looks worn. Could a worn belt slip but not squeal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68 Half cab
Yes, the belt can slip and make no noise. But remember the 3G only puts out as much as needed. My volt guage often reads 13v with all my loads on. My batt
is always fully charged. If you refer a simple style alt you can go with a GM one wire high out put. JB electrical has a good price on them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think it slipping cause the battery voltage will go done to ~11.5 when it's not running. And the 12.4 running. I had just never heard of a belt slipping and not making noise

68 Half cab
Anything is possible but it is doubtful. Me thinks something else is going on. Mabey Chuzie can look at your wiring in Nov Smilem

On the flip side, try a new belt and see what happens. Keep in mind that a new belt will stretch a good bit initially
broncosbybart Wrote:Anything is possible but it is doubtful. Me thinks something else is going on. Mabey Chuzie can look at your wiring in Nov Smilem

On the flip side, try a new belt and see what happens. Keep in mind that a new belt will stretch a good bit initially

I'm open to ideas haha

68 Half cab
Well I put the new belt on and cranked it up. Started charging at 14 volts. Wiggled wires around and nothing happend I guess I will run it and see what happens

68 Half cab
If your batt is sitting at less than 12v its not being charged or is failing. The 3g is an internaly
regulated unit, the regulator is diffrent for the type of car its in. In other words you cant
take a 90amp reg and put it in a 160amp alt and make it work. I learned this the hard way. I have many
regs pulled during cash for clunkers. Not worth a crap.
If the max your making is 12.5, checked at the alt with no loads it may have a failed diod or regulator.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3G alternator upgrade snipes243 1 531 03-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart