Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power line legalities?
I have always wondered what the deal was with land containing power lines. Does the power company own the land or is the land leased to the power company by the land owner (private or public)?

Does anyone (owners) even really care if we wheel on the power lines?

Just curious since there have been a lot of power lines I would love to have wheeled but was always hesitant to get thrown in the slammer for trespassing.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I have a high tension 150,000 volt or whatever it is (big steel towers) line on my property, but I still own the land. The power co. just has a right of way to use the property and even though I like to wheel as much as the next guy I wouldn't like to see someone on it. Just my 2 cents.
'85 Bronco II 7" lift
BW1350 doubled 85:1 final crawl
Hydro-assist steering
Dana 44 front lincoln locked
Ford 9" rear trac-loc
Mile Marker 8000# winch
http://www.gulchesorvpark.com
Sweet. That is what I was looking for.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

Yep, it's private property but the power co. has an easement. We ran into some trouble when I was in HS wheeling on the power lines.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
A buddy of mine has a set that cut the corner of his property where his shop is located. He and his brother do a lot of body work and always seem to have several in process or parts vehicles parked near the lines. The power company frequently flies over them in a small chopper to inspect. The PC has told them to keep the vehicles out of the right of way on their own land:rubeyes:
That is wild. So you own the land but the PC has an easement and thus right of way. No lease, no reimbursement, no nothing? Kind of like the city has a 4' + easement on your front yard BS.

Good to know.

Thats why I like to check it out during daylight, then go wheelin at night!!:beer:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
79 FS 351M, Trac loc HPD44, Detroit 9", 4.56's, 37 Toyo's, 17" Helo Maxx 6
I too have a power line across my land. I have to pay tax on it but i can't do anything with it that would hinder safe passage of repair crews and equipment. Who owns it?Confusedcratchhe: I pay tax on it so I guess I do, it's also included on the plat of my survey. I personally wouldn't want anyone wheelin' on it because I've spent the better part of 15 years clearing and landscaping it. Just my 2 pennies:jump:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
So what the heck does the power company pay for? They are not paying the tax on the land because you are. They aren't renting the land from you even though you bought it. So basically they are just hanging out on private property for free.

For what we pay for power you would think they would be able to afford to pay to lease the land. They make a buch of $$$ off of their customers and, granted, they provide a service that none of us can live without but that does not make it right to let the property owenr bare the burden of property tax on an easement they are forbidden from using. They could at least fork out some tax money. Come on!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. How about a little discount on my power bill!!:rofl::eyecrazy:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]