Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'93 sploder rpm problem look what wifey is getting
I am going to pick up a '93 explorer for $400 the trans is bad but I have a question about the rpm's.
at idle it runs smooth and if you press the accelerater slowly it revs nice but if you push the accelerator quickly the rpm's drop before it goes up any ideas would be great.
here are some pics the guy sent me by the way the truck has a 3.5" either rough country or tough country I forget. it also has a set of 31" BFG at's
the truck is super clean body is straight and interior is straight the only problem is the tranny does absolutely nothing in any gear
I am getting this cause my wife wants something to go wheeling and she is tired of riding shot gun.
[Image: 791a0488.jpg]
[Image: 72c19b24.jpg]
[Image: 29f99c90.jpg]
[Image: 5d03c36f.jpg]
[Image: bdb4feff.jpg]
[Image: c3c72b6c.jpg]
[Image: a25351d3.jpg]
[Image: 4a2e2631.jpg]
Do the RPMs drop and stabilize or does it fluctuate? When it drops does it sputter?

My first suspect would be restricted intake, then fuel pump followed by timing. After that it gets mechanical with valves and pistons. Do you have a check engine light? We could look at sensor issues. Depending on your system MAF or BAP could be at fault.

'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
Man what a deal! What tranny does it have?

Has it been tuned up lately? Might be time for a fuel filter, air filter, plugs, and wires. Then I would check the throttle body for carbon build up. If your problem persists check the TPS and then the fuel pressure regulator.
'72 TBA...
when I quickly pressed the gas it dropped then came up and stablized
other than that it runs like a champ very very smooth. I didn't notice a check engine light I will be picking it up next week so I will do some more investigation. just trying to get an idea what it might be
Its got the worst tranny I think ford ever used the A4LD it is a piece of shyt they have poor flow and then they heat up and go kaput. not bad since I can get a tranny out of Pick N Pull for like 70$ but I think I am gonna do the manual swap like I did on my explorer powered broncoII
not sure when the last time it was tuned up but That is one thing that will happen after I get it it will probably take me a month or so to get it driving cause I want it to be right when I am done
might need to tweek the TPS! or replace it.

TPS (throttle position switch) it has a plastic housing key that works with the throttle shaft...it will get worn out and cause erratic idles. HTH,Chuck

great deal!bad camera:hysterical:
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
those are the pics that he sent me it was raining when I went and looked so I didn't take my camers
The TPS can also be adjusted with a multimeter if it is out of position (assuming it is not faulty). This will throw off the fuel scheduling if it is not adjusted correctly. It may also trigger an engine light if it is faulty. That is the beauty of the EEC system.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
its all good...even the truck!!!!!
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.