Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gps units
looking to buy a gps unit for the truck. i have to go to michigan memorial day weekend. i was just wondering if anyone has had good luck with one. if you have please tell me what kind, and what to look for when buying one.
thank you,
bryan
66 bronco, lots of tube, 302 boat motor, 435/203/205, 10.25 rear, 60 front, 42 iroks
I think mine is a Garmin 330c(or something like that) I got it because it was the only one that I could plug an external pick up in and use with the camper. I love it, heck I ised to be lost all the time...now its only when I'm not driving,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I have a Lowrance 250-I (I think that's the model). I wouldn't be without one now for anything. Love mine.
Ron

1989 FSB Custom 5.0 5spd 3.55LS (and a few other Ford trucks.)
I have a Garmin 76CSx, once you buy the street software it does a really great job in a vehicle (with an external antenna attached), but it a hand held device that you can take out and carry with you on the trails and such also...
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
I've got the Garmin c550... Love it! Bluetooth pairing with your phone, and your handsfree... Buy the SD card and also load it up with MP3s (but use the line-out to connect to your truck's stereo)...
I have done extensive research and owned a few garmin units. I suggest the bare bones Garmin Nuvi 200.

The other models have fancy this and that but when it comes down to it they work the same and calculate routes the same. The accuracy may be slightly different in the higher end models with the implementation of the WAAS but it is not necessary for automotive applications.

I returned my 660 after a few weeks and got the 200 and I love it. Easy to use and no extra crap to pay for that I will never need anyway.

The only thing I do not like about it is that it does not come with a quick release cradle so I have to plug the cord into the back of the unit if I remove it from the car. No biggie since I never remove it anyway.

My 2 cents.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
Confusedcratchhe:You guys are way ahead of me, I still use the fold up map from the gas station. They're cheaper and if you run out of toilet paper on a wheelin run-- you know where this is going, right?:hysterical:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I still carry a paper map so I can get a big picture idea of where I am going as well as for a sanity check. I do not trust my GPS exclusively and will verify it from time to time.

I think the most useful feature of the gps is its ability to provide nearby amenities and phone numbers. When we travel with the kid we can find the nearest park on our route to let her out and spend some energy or find a good hotel and call ahead for reservations.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

Yea, I never thought about that because my kid is turning 40 this year!!
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dosen't mean he can't go and play at the park. Smile