Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
final update
As some of you will remember I picked up a 1978 bronco on trade. For some time I used it as it was, but poor running, smell (lestoil spilt in the back), no rear brakes and leaks (and dents it the CAR oil pan) made me decide to tear into it.
About $200 later and I have to say I am fairly happy with it.
For my money I picked up a used door pannel (the drivers was completly trashed), wheel cyl, carborator rebuild kit, used oil pan/pump, new gaskets. It was foolish of me to think the used pump would be any good, but this was supposed to be "no money needed" yard truck. But since it had no oil press I had to get the new pump too and change it a second time.
So while in there I also changed the tranny pan gasket. So other than the vavle cover leaks it is ok (I may do those at some point).
Some minor fixes along the way were a sway bar bushing poping off(cheap fix, put a big washer on it!ConfusedmokinSmile, pull the rear seat, rear floor mat, tail gait glass and motor. Stripped the bed of rust(new toy from snap-on"crud buster":rubeyesSmile, and sprayed it with rust treatment. Threw some seat covers on it(free from a used car trade in at work), and hosed out the inside.
Changed the bad wheel cyl, clean and adjusted the rear brakes.
Pulled the carborator, rebuilt it, correctly roughted the vacume lines(keep in mind someone put a car engin in this and didnt do it right), reset the timming.
It runs much better(especialy with the electric choke wired up), is clean and decent. There are things If I can fix for free or cheap I may eventuly do, vavle cover gaskets are dripping some, the exhaust has been modifid with tips that dump out under the bed(its hurts my ear drums), some paint in the bed or bed liner. I have some extra lights to put on the bull bar, and am keeping an eye out for a free (hint,hint) car radio to stick in there.
If I could get a title for it (anyone, anyone?ConfusedcratchheSmile I would be more inclide to sink some cash into it, but for a while it will stay as it is. Included are some pics of it parked in the yard awating its next task.
Broncomatt
[Image: yardstuff009.jpg]
[Image: yardstuff008.jpg]
[Image: yardstuff007.jpg]
looking great Matt!!! Thats come a long way! Love those wheels...think I've seen those before:toothy12:
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Man that thing is sweet...I like it!
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
looks good. i'd like to have another 78/79 fsb
East Coast Surplus & Tactical
336-674-3868
can you file for a lost title?
I wish it were that simple, the guy who gave it to me bought it from a used car dealer. When he paid them off(they held the title while he paid) they said they would send it too him. Many mouths later he never got the title so he went down there. They had gone out of bussness, filled for bankruptcy. He went to the tag office and asked what to do, they gave im instuctions on who to see to get what he needed. So he did, when he went back a diffrent person told him it wasnt possible due to the bankrupsy. He gave up, once the truck started dying he scraped it.
He refused to help get one for me, he felt if he was going to go threw the effert to get one again he would have sold it. Currently he is in the middle of a divorce so it isnt something I even want to pursue.
I have thought about registering it in a non title state(NH,GA), with a bill of sale(That I have). Then reregistering it in nc. That would reqire a resident in one of those states to do it in there name and then sell it back to me.
The truly easy solution would be to get another title and vin tag(on the drivers door) and just swap it. While not exatly legalBlush,not sure what else I can doConfusedcratchhe:.
Broncomatt
you would think you would be able to show your bill of sale. let me ask a few cops i know.
If you want I can help...GA registration only thing they might want to see the truck...when I went to register mine because of the age they needed a form filled out by an officer after he did a vin# inspection on my junk.
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
johnpaulgolf Wrote:If you want I can help...GA registration only thing they might want to see the truck...when I went to register mine because of the age they needed a form filled out by an officer after he did a vin# inspection on my junk.

I've also heard GA is a lot easier to work with when it comes to loss titles. If a cop signs off on the VIN then you can get a title and then sign that title over to a different state.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
I may take you up on that JP:beer:. I have done it before when we lived in Mass.
Used a bill of sale and registered it in NH in a buddys name. Then he sold it back to me and Mass allowed me to register it with his bill of sale and proof of registration. Not sure if it would work in NC. The tag and title division is run by a independent company. So strait answers are hard to come by.
The vin on the door is correct, I have a bill of sale from the guy, so I guess I should take a trip this fall and drop it off at JP's and see what we can do:popc1:.
To me it is just a shame to not contnue fixing it up since the body is in such good shape. :rebel:
Broncomatt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  77 update in Raleigh Frankie77 9 1,460 07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Crawdad