Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FRAME PRIMER/PAINT
I'm going to prep and paint my 71 frame this week....It's in great shape.....very little to no rust......I wasn't planning on removing the front or rear end but everything else has been removed....I thought about taking it to get sand blasted/powder coated but have decided to just get after it with an air palm sander and a side grinder with wire wheel....any thoughts or suggestions on the prep? Any suggestions on the primer/paint material? Paint sheen/finish? I'm thinking I want a satin or eggshell finish....(Not flat, not semi-gloss)...

Should I do this? or should I bite the bullet and drop the suspesion and get it blasted/powdercoated? Confusedcratchhe:
I used tractor enamel primer from Tractor Supply. It's tough stuff! Then I painted it with tractor implement paint also.

You may want to invest in a less than $20 sand blaster at Lowes - plugs into your air and put the hose into a 5 gallon bucket full of play sand. It'll get all of the hard to get to places a lot easier.

Good Luck and show us some pics!
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
I'd look at por15 and then a topcoat. That por is designed to paint over rust and it's really tough stuff. It's not uv stable so it'll fade if you don't topcoat it. my vote...por15 and a chassis black topcoat.
Bighorn Wrote:I'd look at por15 and then a topcoat. That por is designed to paint over rust and it's really tough stuff. It's not uv stable so it'll fade if you don't topcoat it. my vote...por15 and a chassis black topcoat.

2X:xyxthumbs:....get the top coat with it!!!!! I didn't and regret it now,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Thank you for the advice.....Confusedupergrin:.....I'm working on a local powder coater to sandblast and powdercoat for $300.00!!!!!!! He's going to come look at it this morning and give me the bottom line.....I'm thinking even at $400.00 it would be a great deal!?! Does anyone know how much it typically cost?

If I were to do the job myself how much do you estimate the Tractor primer/paint or the POR15/topcoat material cost would be? I've got Jeffs spray rig available to spray it with....

THANK YOU again...

Hank
904-237-7714
I heard there was a guy here in town that offered frames to be sand blasted,etched primed and painted black for $250...so if you can get powder coat for that-that would be a good deal IMO! Go for it Hank,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
POR15 is better brushed on IMO...you might spend well under $100 for the por15/top coat...plus your time. Just make sure you have all the mods done to the frame that you want before anything goes on it.
I just bought the job for $500.00 including the coil springs.....Probably bought more than I need, as usual.....but what the hell.....when it comes to my Bronco it's what I do......sound familiar? It's good to know I'm not the only addict out there......

Hank
(904) 237-7714
Dang - I've got HOURS and HOURS in grinding/sanding my frame and would gladly have given $250 for the sanding and priming. Make sure that you have everything welded to the frame that you want before you get it powdercoated.
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Thank you SC74/Chuck....I know for a few extra bucks I'm going to get a 100% better job....We're welding on the extended raduis arm brackets today.....The new Stak 3 speed doesn't require frame mods, (10% smaller/lighter), the track bar mount bracket has been dropped/welded and the frame has been reinforced welded at the steering box location.....I'm going to bolt on some nerf bars/ski's and t-case skid plate....the break/fuel lines bolt on......what am I forgetting?

THANK YOU......Hank
(904) -237-7714

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removeable door frame Mod w/ Pics scbronco 8 1,914 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Last Post: scbronco
  Installing New Window Frame Pivots UTFLIWGYA 3 912 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Last Post: UTFLIWGYA