Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
school me 7.3
I am in the market for a new cheap driver. i need a truck to haul trash etc. i also want to be able to tow an Rv with it. With diesel prices going up there are some good deals to be had. Ill have a max of about 5k to spend and with looking for a few weeks I have come across a few 7.3 one tons and 3/4's as well. I dont know squat about diesels. so what years 7.3 were good? was there a turbo or intercooled? dually or single rear. I would tow up to about 8000# max. Whats yalls choice in that $ range?
Eric. :rebel:
I have a 2000 F250 powerstroke 7.3. I've installed a hypertech programmer. It gets in the upper teens around town, in the mid 20's on the interstate and I get 12.5/13 towing my camper that weighs in at 14,500 lbs. It is 4wd with single rear and has 3.83 posi f& r. I've seen duallies spin on wet grass, they're more stable on the open road with something in tow but they will spin in dog pee! Too much tire and not enough weight. I wouldn't give up my powerstroke for all the gas trucks of any kind, period..! Now if I could just get one with an Allison behind it! You're looking in the right direction but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a Dodge with a Cummins in it.
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
so all 7.3's are the same? i was told the same thing on a dodge cummins also.

a 94-98 dodge 12valve 5speed . they're out there for that price. the 96-98 5speed is the best simply because they came with 50hp more factory.
I don't know Dodges, i do know that all 7.3's are basically the same. I'd rather have a V-8 anytime over an inline 6. just my $.02:xyxthumbs:
Psalms 27:1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I missed a deal on a '99 SD 4x4 the other week. They where asking $5500, it had 160K, XLT, 4x4, supercab/short bed. But had a rattling torque converter and leaking tranny. Only I was a day late calling about it and someone else had snatched it up.

I've been looking at these for a while now. The '94-97HD's are rather cheap compared to the Super Duties. Only drawback is the limp twin traction beam front end. The SD is a little heavier truck. As for the Cummins, I have yet to find a 4x4 with less than 250K for less then $10K. I, myself, would prefer to have a manual tranny. They seem to not be as plentiful though. I'm also not against a dually and they seem to be priced about the same as a SRW.
'72 TBA...
Here's a little info. 7.3's have been around since the mid 80's I thinkConfusedcratchhe: anyway up until 96 they were non turbo. Good power but not the same as the later years. 96-97 were the first powerstokes as they are known today. Can't remember the HP but they were non intercooled. Good trucks, kinda on the expensive side to get all the potential out of them. 99 was the first intercooled powerstroke as well as the first year of the new body style. early 99's were rated at 235 HP, later 99's and 2000's were 255 HP and the 01-02's were the highest HP rating of the 7.3's with 275. All of these trucks are well proven and reliable for the most part. 02 was the last year of the 7.3 and argueably the best of the bunch. I have owned a 99 (235 HP) for about 4 years now. It has been a great truck and pulled anything I put behind it. It has a 4" lift w/35's, a 4" exhaust and a programer and air filter. With all that it made 294 HP and 656 TQ on the dyno. As I said this has been a great truck and has performed well however the mileage is so so 15-17 mpg empty 12-13 pulling.

I have recently bought an 03 Dodge. and in bone stock trim it will out pull my Ford and is getting about 23 mpg on the highway . I have several friends with5.9 cummins and they all get around 17-18 mpg pulling their rigs. (( was the first year of the 24 valve 5.9 adn they can be picked up fairly cheap.

If it were me and I was dead set on a 7.3 I would try to find an 01-02.
66 Rockrawler, 66 RestoMod
[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
thanks for the info guys! im not set on a 7.3 just seems that in y price range thats whats out there. the 6.2 and 6.5 chevys are not near as good as the cummins or 7.3.
anyone know how much a connverter is?

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/1207366/1...roke-.html
Badass Wrote:anyone know how much a connverter is?

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/1207366/1...roke-.html

that's a deal.......duallies won't get the fuel mileage a srw will......a friend in ohio makes converters & brings down every other week i'll get a price 4 ya.....:xyxthumbs:
SIZE MATTERS! :rebel: Uncle Ted [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://www.wheelindixie.com
http://www.coastalcarolinaoffroad.com
Sweet!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  School bus tow rig cuz1 37 5,395 07-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Last Post: cuz1