Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
who has the better chromos?
I've been using the yukon chromos from complete offroad. But, I'm not impressed. I have sheared the pass/driver side each right behind a set of Warn standard hubs. And sheared the ears off another driver side outer. Thats 3 breaks with the outers. I installed the hubs to make that the weak link %) Hell, I've been through 2 sets of Warn premiums and a set of MM stainless! Now the chromos cant handle a set of standards...go figure. I'm gonna try to get this last stub replaced(but COR's site is down )..I'm thinking of buying a better set of shafts and keep these yukons as spares. Let me know what ya got for shafts and how they have worked for ya. Thanks Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
I've heard that the Alloy USA shafts are good quality.
'95 Bronco -- 351W-435-205, D44 SAS, Cromos, Truetrac, E-Locker
Chuck, I use to break a lot of outers until we realized I had no steering stops on my outer knuckles. We welded a stop to keep the steering from going so far. What was happening was when the wheel was turned all the way I was pulling the axles to far and they got in a bind and broke the ears or the ujoint. We welded a lug nut for a stop. I have had no problems since-----

(KNOCK ON WOOD)

I also went down in tire size---so that may help me as well.
:popc1:
I dont think I've ever had it turned when they break. I dont even think the knuckles will turn lock to lock...I will check it though. Thanks,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Try the superior axles if you can find them. I here you may have to wait a few weeks for them.
Dude you need to call NASA to get some of their interstellar crazy alien metal. You have bad luck. Good on you for using standard hubs as the weak link. They are so much cheaper than new axles but maybe not in your case. Sad
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I have a set of Premiums on the bench and never ran them. I was going to use them on my full width. The Warn Standards I run on my EB axle were bought for $20 off of a government surplus axle for a K5. Never had a problem, so no need to swap them out.

Matt runs the standard Ford hub with no problems.

As for axles, I agree with Chuzie!:hysterical: I've read on the ClassicBroncos.com site that the Superiors or Warns are pretty tough. Here is a recent thread there: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthr...ght=chromo
'72 TBA...
He wasn't turned to lock and on the power at the same time. You are right, this will destroy the axle at the u-joint. This snapped the shaft at what should be the strongest point. Made a very sharp snap as I recall. Chuck, you do need a set made from the stuff from NASA, referred to as "Unobtainium" Stronger than all known metals and lighter than Aluminum. Perhaps Titanium? Know a guy that works for Titanium Metals in Vegas, maybe he could help.

Tim
need to contact Complete OffRoad
While wheeling in River Rock, I sheared yet another outer stub shaft I tried about a week ago online, but their site was done. I just tried again, and the same thing. Did they change address??? I was gonna try to get a replacment before a 30th trip coming up.Thanks for yalls help,Chuck

I posted this on classic also
I was just on their site shopping. Seemed like everything was working. Seems like JBG was down all weekend. Though it was back working this morning. Did you call Mike and leave a message?
'72 TBA...